[ISN] Anon on the run: How Commander X jumped bail and fled to Canada

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 00:34:05 -0600 (CST)
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/12/anon-on-the-run-how-commander-x-jumped-bai/

By Nate Anderson
Ars Technica
Dec 11 2012

"You scared?" asks the fugitive in the camouflage pants as he sidles up
to our pre-arranged meeting point in a small Canadian park. He wears
sunglasses to hide his eyes and a broad-brimmed hat to hide his face. He
scans the park perimeter for police. "Cuz I'm scared enough for both of
us."

It’s a dramatic introduction, but Christopher "Commander X" Doyon leads
a dramatic life these days. He jumped bail and fled the US after the FBI
arrested him in 2011 for bringing down a county government website --
the only Anonymous-affiliated activist yet to take such a step. When I
meet him months after his flight, he remains jumpy about getting caught.
But Doyon has a story he wants to tell, and after he removes his hat,
sunglasses, and backpack, he soon warms to the telling of it. It's the
story of how, in Doyon's words, "the USA has become so tyrannical that a
human rights/information activist would feel compelled to flee into
exile and seek sanctuary in another country."

And it goes like this.

Cease fire

On December 16, 2010, at exactly 12:30pm, Doyon issued a typed order
into an Internet Relay Chat (IRC) room used by the hacker collective
Anonymous. "CEASE FIRE," it said in all caps. The command had no visible
effect in the Starbucks where Doyon was working, though somewhere nearby
the Web servers for Santa Cruz County, California groaned back to life
after being flattened by a 30-minute distributed denial of service
(DDoS) attack meant to protest an ordinance that regulated sleeping on
public property.

Doyon unfocused his attention from his laptop screen and looked up at
the coffee shop around him. Real life rushed back -- the buzz of
conversation, the smell of roasted beans. No one paid him any special
attention, but Doyon felt a sudden pang of fear.

[...]

Visit the InfoSec News Security Bookstore
Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org