[ISN] SANS NetWars tests cybersecurity pros against peers

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 00:56:10 -0600 (CST)
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/121812-sans-netwars-tests-cybersecurity-pros-265214.html

By Grant Gross
IDG News Service
December 18, 2012

Organizers played "Eye of the Tiger" and "We are the Champions" over the
loudspeakers as participants in the SANS Institute's NetWars Tournament
of Champions sat down at their laptops and prepared for action.

About 200 cybersecurity professionals, and about 30 high school
students, gathered last week in Washington, D.C., for two nights of
NetWars, a realistic cybersecurity competition, with prizes including an
Apple iPad, Star Wars chop sticks and gift cards. But many participants
were playing as much for pride as they were for the prizes.

The competition is both educational and fun, said Jorge Orchilles,
manager of the infrastructure vulnerability assessment team at Citi
Global Security Operations. Orchilles participated in the competition
last week and finished in third place in a NetWars competition in 2011.

"I participate to measure myself up with the best in the industry," he
said by email after the event. "After the session I can look at the
areas where I can improve as well as the areas I have mastered."

[...]

Visit the InfoSec News Security Bookstore
Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org