[ISN] Islamic jihackers -- coming soon to a bank near you

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 00:56:44 -0600 (CST)
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/technology/willardfoxton2/100008522/

By Willard Foxton
Tech business
The Telegraph
December 18th, 2012

While our fumbling politicians and toothless regulators aren't having
much success at dealing with out-of-control, too-big-to fail-banks, it
seems that online cyber-jihadis are having some success in damaging
them.

Last week, a group calling itself the "Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Cyber
Fighters" (named for an islamic militant killed by British Troops in
Palestine in the 1930s) issued a warning on Pastebin that it would
target US banks, in protest over YouTube not removing the film The
Innocence of Muslims. Since then, they've made good on their threat.
Institutions including Bank of America, PNC Financial Services Group,
and SunTrust have seen large-scale denial of service attacks on their
websites, which successfully brought down online banking services this
week. It's only a matter of time before cyber-activists – be they
islamists, anti-capitalists, or just kids having a laugh – target
British banks.

The trouble is, UK banking technology isn't really up to resisting
sophisticated attacks. Almost all our banks rely on old, unusually
vulnerable systems at critical points in their architecture. We all
remember the huge RBS outage earlier this year; it was caused by
outdated systems using different programming languages failing to talk
to each other.

That wasn't the only broken system; it was just the first one the UK
media noticed. On New Year’s Eve last year, Lloyds TSB chip and pin
machines double-charged 200,000 transactions, because the antique
programming language that underpinned the system went wrong; in
Australia in 2010 a catastrophic failure at National Australia Bank
stopped customers being able to use their debit cards for over a week.

[...]

Visit the InfoSec News Security Bookstore
Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org