[ISN] Cyber Threat Looms

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 04:08:50 -0600 (CST)
http://freebeacon.com/cyber-threat-looms/

[Change the name, date and agency and this reads like every
other article since Winn Schwartau coined the term
"electronic Pearl Harbor" in 1991. -- WK]

By Bill Gertz
FreeBeacon.com
January 24, 2013

The United States is facing a catastrophic cyber attack by nations or
non-state groups that could cripple the country’s economy, a former
high-ranking U.S. intelligence official said on Thursday.

Retired Vice Adm. Mike McConnell, who headed both the National Security
Agency (NSA) and served as director of national intelligence, said in a
speech that one example of a devastating cyber attack would be the
crippling of the U.S. economy through cyber attacks on banks and
financial institutions.

“We have a national problem and it is significant. The next big issue
will be a cyber 9/11,” McConnell said during a luncheon speech to a
meeting of the American Bar Association standing committee on law and
national security.

“I’ve been sounding the alarm, and I’ve been doing this now for 20
years,” he said. “We are going to have a cyber event that is
catastrophic.”

McConnell, a 46-year veteran of the military and intelligence community
who still consults for the NSA, also said Chinese and other cyber
espionage pose strategic threats to U.S. security. He headed the NSA
from 1992 to 1996 and was DNI from 2007 to 2009.

[...]

Visit the InfoSec News Security Bookstore
Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org