[ISN] Apple: Employee computers were targeted in hack attack

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 01:10:25 -0600 (CST)
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57570096-37/apple-employee-computers-were-targeted-in-hack-attack/

By Josh Lowensohn
CNet News
February 19, 2013

Apple today said it too was targeted as part of the string of hacking efforts
on companies and news agencies.

The iPhone and Mac maker told Reuters that hackers targeted computers used by
its employees, but that "there was no evidence that any data left Apple."

In a statement, Apple said it discovered malware that made use of a
vulnerability in the Java plug-in, and that it was sourced from a site for
software developers:

   Apple has identified malware which infected a limited number of Mac
   systems through a vulnerability in the Java plug-in for browsers.
   The malware was employed in an attack against Apple and other
   companies, and was spread through a website for software developers.
   We identified a small number of systems within Apple that were
   infected and isolated them from our network. There is no evidence
   that any data left Apple. We are working closely with law
   enforcement to find the source of the malware.

   Since OS X Lion, Macs have shipped without Java installed, and as an
   added security measure OS X automatically disables Java if it has
   been unused for 35 days. To protect Mac users that have installed
   Java, today we are releasing an updated Java malware removal tool
   that will check Mac systems and remove this malware if found.

[...]

Visit the InfoSec News Security Bookstore
Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org