[ISN] Server hack prompts call for cPanel customers to take "immediate action"

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 04:12:25 -0600 (CST)
http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/02/server-hack-prompts-call-for-cpanel-customers-to-take-immediate-action/

By Dan Goodin
Ars Technica
Feb 22 2013

The providers of the cPanel website management application are warning some
users to immediately change their systems' root or administrative passwords
after discovering one of its servers has been hacked.

In an e-mail sent to customers who have filed a cPanel support request in the
past six months, members of the company's security team said they recently
discovered the compromise of a server used to process support requests.

"While we do not know if your machine is affected, you should change your root
level password if you are not already using SSH keys," they wrote, according to
a copy of the e-mail posted to a community forum. "If you are using an
unprivileged account with 'sudo' or 'su' for root logins, we recommend you
change the account password. Even if you are using SSH keys we still recommend
rotating keys on a regular basis."

The e-mail advised customers to take "immediate action on their own servers,"
although team members still don't know the exact nature of the compromise.
Company representatives didn't respond to an e-mail from Ars asking if they
could rule out the possibility that customer names, e-mail addresses, or other
personal data were exposed. It's also unclear whether the company followed
wide-standing recommendations to cryptographically protect passwords. So-called
one-way hashes convert plain-text passwords into long unique strings that can
only be reversed using time-consuming cracking techniques. This post will be
updated if cPanel representatives respond later.

[...]

Visit the InfoSec News Security Bookstore
Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org