[IWAR] INTERNET Cambodian strongman

From: Michael Wilson (MWILSON/0005514706at_private)
Date: Tue Dec 02 1997 - 09:36:33 PST

                      Cambodian strongman Hun Sen enters cyberspace

          Copyright ) 1997 Nando.net
          Copyright ) 1997 Agence France-Presse

       PHNOM PENH (December 2, 1997 11:11 a.m. EST http://www.nando.net) -
       Cambodian strongman Hun Sen is going into cyberspace, with his party
       posting a homepage on the Internet to soften its image and widen its
       appeal.

       The Cambodian People's Party (CPP) site on the World Wide Web is to be
       launched soon with the release of the text of a speech given Tuesday by
       low-key party president Chea Sim to mark the 19th anniversary of the
       founding of the anti-Khmer Rouge resistance.

       "This is just to give people much better information about the CPP,"
       said Svay Sitha, the senior party official whose office created the
       site.

       "We will put on it background about the CPP leadership, especially about
       the CPP political line and our platform."

       The site, in English, was proposed by the party's central committee
       following fierce fighting in the capital which effectively ousted First
       Prime Minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh, another official said.

       The fighting, widely seen as between CPP troops and soldiers loyal to
       the prince's royalist FUNCINPEC party, tarnished the image of Cambodia,
       the government and the formerly communist CPP.

       "Now everybody is paying special attention to the CPP, so we have to
       allow them access," the official said.

       Svay Sitha acknowleged that few people in computer-scarce Cambodia would
       be able to see the website but said he hoped it would attract Internet
       surfers from around the world.

       "Our policy is to get as many friends as possible," he said.

       The address of the homepage on the world wide web is www.cpp.com.kh.