Re: [IWAR] INFOWAR Hype

From: Mark Hedges (hedgesat_private)
Date: Fri Dec 05 1997 - 11:34:56 PST

    On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, Michael Wilson wrote:
    >   mission-critical IS systems. These threatened attacks were said to
    >   include hacking, virus attacks, and use of radio-frequency weapons
    >   capable of destroying computer systems with blasts of high energy.

    Hey, a friend built one of those, once. He made a beam antenna using
    elements out of an old thrift-store microwave oven. He found the plans for
    a beam antenna in some old electronics book. It worked, too --- but he
    dismantled it for being too dangerous. The original plan was to cut the
    length of the elements just a tiny bit so the microwaves don't spin water
    and it's dangerous only to computers and not brains and bodies. Then we
    were going to fabricate a turret on the top of his Honda Civic and mount
    it up there -- until his car exploded in the high school parking lot and
    he had to tear it up with his Saws-All. Anyway, if you've got electronics
    know-how and about $40 they're fairly simple to make, and theoretically
    work from a comfortable range. Transmitting, a beam antenna concentrates
    about 85 to 90% of the energy in a particular direction. If total anarchy
    breaks loose, I guess you could just omit the part about shortening the
    transmission elements -- but fashion some sort of operator shield.

    Mark