[IWAR] FRANCE Carlos trial sitrep

From: Michael Wilson (MWILSON/0005514706at_private)
Date: Mon Dec 22 1997 - 16:08:16 PST

                       French prosecutors demand life for 'Jackal'

          Copyright ) 1997 Nando.net
          Copyright ) 1997 Agence France-Presse

       PARIS (December 22, 1997 3:30 p.m. EST http://www.nando.net) - The chief
       prosecutor in the trial of "Carlos the Jackal," who is on trial for a
       triple murder in Paris in 1975, on Monday called for a sentence of life
       imprisonment.

       When the 10-day old trial resumed earlier in the day, prosecutor Gino
       Necchi said he would seek a ruling from the Assize Court whether there
       were aggravating circumstances which would carry a life sentence.

       Carlos, 48, a Venezuelan whose real name is Ilich Ramirez Sanchez, is
       accused of shooting dead two French secret service agents and a Lebanese
       informer. He was handed over to France by Sudan in 1994.

       In principle, the charges against him carry a 30-year-sentence.

       Necchi, who did not ask for a minimum term, said the decision he was
       asking from the court was "not a question of war, of revenge, but of
       implementing the law of the republic."

       The trial resumes at 10 a.m. on Tuesday with defence summing up. A
       verdict is expected Tuesday evening unless the hearings are delayed by
       procedural delaying tactics, liberally used by defence lawyers up to
       now.

       A lawyer for the civil plaintiffs in the trial said Monday he considered
       Carlos had defended himself like a "chicken thief."

       He added that Carlos was responsible for the killings and that it was up
       to him to prove the fact.

       The lawyer Francis Szpiner continued: "Since 1983, I have been following
       Carlos' actions. For all these years I imagined it. As a defendant, I
       respect him. I am concerned about his rights. But for as a man who
       declares himself a professional revolutionary, I am astonished."

       Charging that Carlos had resorted to "the path of evasion and insult,"
       he added: "You said at the start of the trial that you weren't a chicken
       thief, but you have defended yourself like a chicken thief."

       Earlier, another lawyer for the civil plaintiffs Jean-Paul Levy
       denounced the "circus" created by Carlos, "who tried to transform the
       Assize Court into a grotesque comedy to try to avoid replying to the one
       question which is being asked" -- that is, is he guilty?

       Apart from the outcome of the current hearing, Carlos faces five other
       trials for terrorist offences in the 1970s.