[IWAR] RUSSIA syphilis

From: Michael Wilson (MWILSON/0005514706at_private)
Date: Wed Dec 24 1997 - 09:33:53 PST

                Explosion in syphilis infections in Russia sparks concern

          Copyright ) 1997 Nando.net
          Copyright ) 1997 Agence France-Presse

       MOSCOW (December 23, 1997 9:18 p.m. EST http://www.nando.net) - The
       skyrocketing growth in the number of syphilis cases in Russia has
       sparked serious concern among lawmakers and health officials who fear
       that if left unchecked, the disease could become a national tragedy.

       "It could become a problem for the whole of the Russian nation," said
       Aleftina Aparina, of the Committee for Children and Family Affairs in
       the State Duma, Russia's lower house of parliament.

       "I am sure that even the ministry of health does not have an exact
       number because many people do not even know they are infected," she
       said, noting that syphilis was a especially major problem in Russia's
       northern regions.

       The disease was one of the first problems addressed by Bolshevik leader
       Vladimir Ilyich Lenin after the Russian revolution when it affected a
       huge percentage of the nation's population.

       Lenin defeated syphilis which became rare in Russia, but the last four
       years have seen it spread exponentially again.

       "The rate of the disease's spread is frightening," commented Eduard
       Sarkisov, member of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences.

       He said that in the past 10 years the number of cases reported annually
       had increased 40-fold.

       According to the Russian health ministry, some 450,000 cases were
       registered in 1997 alone, almost 200,000 more than in 1995.

       An even more disturbing trend cited by Aparina is that the victims of
       syphilis are getting younger.

       "Each year we register more and more cases where children under 14 are
       suffering from this decease," she said.

       Sarkisov blamed the spread of syphilis on loose morals promoted by the
       nation's broadcasters

       "When I come home after work, I see my underage son watching
       pornographic programs. They (the television stations) should be punished
       for that. They are only concerned with money. They are corrupting our
       people," he said.

       The Duma recently issued a decree criticising NTV commercial television
       for broadcasting a large number of erotic programs and calling for
       financial sanctions against the station.

       But more importantly, health officials blame economic hardship for the
       spread of the disease.

       According to Boris Andreyev, a doctor at Moscow's Botkinskaya hospital,
       for most Russians financial problems take precedence over health
       considerations.

       "Russians today have no time to think about hygiene and about their
       health, " he said.

       Andreyev also noted that fiscal problems meant that the government had
       little money to devote to fighting the problem.

       "In the early days of the Soviet era the state had programs targeting
       both syphilis and tuberculosis. (The government) even stipulated
       criminal measures against those who refused treatment," he said.

       "With the help of police, we could force an infected person to be
       treated, but now all we can do is tell them they have it," Andreyev
       said.

       Ultimately, Aparina said, it will take government money and a program
       aimed specifically at the nation's youth to slow the spread of syphilis
       and avert tragedy.

       "If the government does not take effective measures, only 54 percent of
       people now aged 16 will survive to their 64th birthday," she said.