[IWAR] Quotes

From: Mark Hedges (hedgesat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 22 1998 - 13:08:34 PST

    A series of quotes on liberty and perseverance.

    Mark Hedges

       We built your fort. We will not have it used against us.
              John Wayne Allegheny Uprising

       Restrictions of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of
              all subversions. It is the one un-American act that could most
              easily defeat us.
              William O. Douglas

       The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's for which the sheep
              thanks the shepherd as his liberator, while the wolf denounces
              him for the same act as the destroyer of liberty. Plainly, the
              sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of liberty.

              Abraham Lincoln

       The Revolution was effected before the war commenced. The Revolution
              was in the minds and hearts of the people. This radical change
              in the principles, opinions, sentiments and affections of the
              people was the real American Revolution.
              John Adams

       Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent
              revolution inevitable.
              John F. Kennedy

       Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of
              others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny
              ripple of hope...build(ing) a current that can sweep down the
              mightiest walls of oppression and resistance.
              Robert F. Kennedy

       Those who suppress freedom always do so in the name of law and order.
              John V. Lindsay

       Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are
              men who want rain without thunder and lightning.
              Frederick Douglass

       All civilization has from time to time become a thin crust over a
              volcano of revolution.
              Havelock Ellis

       Man's capacity for justice makes democracy possible, but man's
              inclination to injustice makes democracy necessary.
              Reinhold Niebuhr

       This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit
              it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government,
              they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or
              their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it.
              Abraham Lincoln

       The French Revolution of a hundred and fifty years ago gradually
              ushered in an age of political equality, but the times have
              changed, and that by itself is not enough today. The boundaries
              of democracy have to be widened now so as to include economic
              equality also. This is the great revolution through which we
              are all passing.
              Jawaharlal Nehru

       If our economy of freedom fails to distribute wealth as ably as it has
              created it, the road to dictatorship will be open to any man
              who can persuasively promise security to all.
              Will Durant

       Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgement and
              for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support
              the totalitarian state.
              John Dewey

       I call that mind free which jealously guards its intellectual rights
              and powers, which calls no man master, which does not content
              itself with a passive or hereditary faith, which opens itself
              to light whencesoever it may come, which receives new truth as
              an angel from Heaven.
              William Ellery Channing

       A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves.
              Bertrand de Jouvenel

       All the higher, more penetrating ideals are revolutionary. They
              present themselves far less in the guise of effects of past
              experience than in that of probable causes of future
              experience.
              William James

       A regime, an established order, is rarely overthrown by a
              revolutionary movement; usually a regime collapses of its own
              weakness and corruption and then a revolutionary movement
              enters among the ruins and takes over the powers that have
              become vacant.
              Walter Lippman

       Government is, or ought to be, instituted for the common benefit and
              security of the people, nation or community; whenever any
              government shall be found inadequate or contrary to these
              purposes, a majority of the community hath an indubitable,
              unalienable, indefeasible right, to reform, alter, or abolish
              it, in such manner as shall be judged most conducive to the
              public Weal.
              George Mason

       You can never have a revolution in order to establish a democracy. You
              must have a democracy in order to have a revolution.
              G.K. Chesterton

       Here in America we a descended in blood and in spirit from
              revolutionists and rebels- men and women who dared to dissent
              from accepted doctrine. As their heirs, we may never confuse
              honest dissent with disloyal subversion.
              Dwight Eisenhower

       There is no substitute for a militant freedom.
              Calvin Coolidge

       He who would be free must strike the first blow.
              Frederick Douglass

       Those who give the first shock to a state are the first overwhelmed in
              its ruin; the fruits of public commotion are seldom enjoyed by
              him who was the first mover; he only beats the water for
              another's net.
              Michel De Montaigne

       There is a kind of revolution of so general a character that it
              changes the tastes as well as the fortunes of the world.
              La Rochefoucauld

       The art of revolutionizing and overturning states is to undermine
              established customs, by going back to their origin, in order to
              mark their want of justice.
              Blaise Pascal

       Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the
              property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under
              arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with
              the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further
              obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath
              provided for all men against force and violence.
              John Locke

       Everything I see about me is sowing the seeds of a revolution that is
              inevitable, though I shall not have the pleasure of seeing it.
              The lightning is so close at hand that it will strike at the
              first chance, and then there will be a pretty uproar. The young
              are fortunate, for they will see fine things.
              Voltaire

       The most sensible and jealous people are so little attentive to
              government that there are no instances of resistance until
              repeated, multiplied oppressions have placed it beyond a doubt
              that their rulers had formed settled plans to deprive them of
              their liberties; not to oppress an individual or a few, but to
              break down the fences of a free constitution, and deprive the
              people at large of all share in the government, and all the
              checks by which it is limited.
              John Adams

       It is an observation of one of the profoundest inquirers into human
              affairs that a revolution of government is the strongest proof
              that can be given by a people of their virtue and good sense.
              John Adams

       To dare: that is the whole secret of revolutions.
              Antoine Saint-Just

       An oppressed people are authorized whenever they can to rise and break
              their fetters.
              Henry Clay

       Wherever a man comes, there comes revolution. The old is for slaves.
              Ralph Waldo Emerson

       Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communist revolution. The
              proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a
              world to win. Working men of all countries, unite!
              Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels

       All men recognize the right of revolution: that is, the right to
              refuse allegiance to, or to resist, the government when its
              tyranny or its inefficiency are great and unendurable.
              Henry David Thoreau

       Insurgents are like conquerors: they must go forward. The moment they
              are stopped they are lost.
              Wellington

       Revolutions are not made: they come. A revolution is as natural a
              growth as an oak. It comes out of the past. Its foundations are
              laid far back.
              Wendell Phillips

       Revolutions never go backwards.
              William Henry Steward

       The French revolution was a machine invented and constructed for the
              purpose of manufacturing liberty; but it had neither lever
              cogs, nor adjusting powers, and the consequences were that it
              worked so rapidly that it destroyed its own inventors, and set
              itself on fire.
              C.C. Colton

       Great revolutions, whatever may be their causes, are not lightly
              commenced, and are not concluded with precipitation.
              Benjamin Disraeli

       A reform is a correction of abuses; a revolution is a transfer of
              power.
              E.G. Bulwer-Lytton

       Whenever the ends of government are perverted, and public liberty
              manifestly endangered, and all other means of redress are
              ineffectual, the people may, and of a right ought to reform the
              old, or establish a new government; the doctrine of
              non-resistance against arbitrary power and oppression is
              absurd, slavish and destructive of the good and happiness of
              mankind.
              Declaration of Rights, Maryland

       There are but three ways for the populace to escape its wretched lot.
              The first two are by the routes of the wine-shop or the church;
              the third is by that of the social revolution.
              M.A. Bakunin

       Revolutions are not made by men in spectacles.
              Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

       Revolutions are not made with rosewater.
              E.G. Bulwer-Lytton

       It is not the insurrections of ignorance that are dangerous, but the
              revolts of intelligence.
              James Russell Lowell

       The right to revolution is an inherent one. When people are oppressed
              by their government, it is a natural right they enjoy to
              relieve themselves of the oppression, if they are strong
              enough, either by withdrawal from it, or by overthrowing it and
              substituting a government more acceptable.
              U.S. Grant

       Revolutions can no longer be achieved by minorities. No matter how
              energetic and intelligent a minority may be, it is not enough,
              in modern times at least, to make a revolution. The cooperation
              of a majority, and a large majority too, is needed.
              Jean Jaures

       One of the chief symptoms of every revolution is the sharp and sudden
              increase in the number of ordinary people who take an active,
              independent and forceful interest in politics.
              Nikolai Lenin

       It is impossible to predict the time and progress of revolution. It is
              governed by its own more or less mysterious laws. But when it
              comes it moves irresistibly.
              Nikolai Lenin

       We must enter and take possession of the consciences of the children,
              of the consciences of the young, because they do belong, and
              should belong to the revolution.
              Plutarco Calles

       Those who are inclined to compromise can never make a revolution.
              Kemal Ataturk

       He that accepts protection, stipulates obedience. We have always
              protected the Americans; we may therefore subject them to
              government.
              Samuel Johnson

       If there was ever a just war since the world began, it is this in
              which America is now engaged.
              Thomas Paine

       I desired as many as could to join together in fasting and prayer,
              that God would restore the spirit of love and of a sound mind
              to the poor deluded rebels in America.
              John Wesley

       If I were an American, as I am an Englishman, while a foreign troop
              was landed in my country I never would lay down my arms,-
              never! never! never!
              William Pitt

       The American Revolution was a vindication of liberties inherited and
              possessed. It was a conservative revolution.
              William E. Gladstone

       Who draws his sword against his prince must throw away the scabbard.
              James Howell

       Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God.
              Thomas Jefferson

       My call is the call of battle- I nourish active rebellion;/ He going
              with me must go well armed.
              Walt Whitman

       Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's
              original virtue. It is through disobedience that progress has
              been made, through disobedience and through rebellion.
              Oscar Wilde

       Disobedience, the rarest and most courageous of the virtues, is seldom
              distinguished from neglect, the laziest and commonest of the
              vices.
              George Bernard Shaw

       Tyranny brings ignorance and brutality with it. It degrades men from
              their just rank into the class of brutes; it damps their
              spirits; it suppresses art; it extinguishes every spark of
              noble ardor and generosity in the breasts of those who are
              enslaved by it; it makes naturally strong and great minds
              feeble and little, and triumphs over the ruins of virtue and
              humanity.
              Jonathan Mayhew

       No government power can be abused long. Mankind will not bear it.
              Samuel Johnson

       Some boast of being friends to government; I am a friend to righteous
              government, to a government founded upon the principles of
              reason and justice; but I glory in publicly avowing my eternal
              enmity to tyranny.
              John Hancock

       The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it.
              John Hay

       It is lawful and hath been held so through all ages for any one who
              have the power to call to account a tyrant or wicked king, and
              after due conviction to depose and put him to death.
              John Milton

       If a sovereign oppresses his people to a degree they will rise and cut
              off his head. There is a remedy in human nature against tyranny
              that will keep us safe under every form of government.
              Samuel Johnson

       'Twixt kings and tyrants there's this difference known;/ Kings seek
              their subjects' good: tyrants their own.
              Robert Herrick

       The mob is easily led and may be moved by the smallest force, so that
              its agitations have a wonderful resemblance to those of the
              sea.
              Polybius

       The common people suffer when the powerful disagree.
              Phaedrus

       Do not wonder if the common people speak more truly than those above
              them: they speak more safely.
              Francis Bacon

       Do not be too severe upon the errors of the people, but reclaim them
              by enlightening them.
              Thomas Jefferson

       The people are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our
              liberty.
              Thomas Jefferson

       I am not among those who fear the people. They, and not the rich, are
              our dependence for continued freedom.
              Thomas Jefferson

       The welfare of the people is the supreme law.
              Motto of Missouri

       In your dread of dictators you established a state of society in which
              every ward boss is a dictator, every private employer a
              dictator, every financier a dictator, all with the livelihood
              of the workers at his mercy, and no public responsibility.
              George Bernard Shaw

       It is the old practice of despots to use a part of the people to keep
              the rest in order.
              Thomas Jefferson

       Arbitrary rule has its basis, not in the strength of the state or the
              chief, but in the moral weakness of the individual, who submits
              almost without resistance to the domineering power.
              Friedrich Hatzel

       Despotism has forever had a powerful hold upon the world. Autocratic
              government, not self-government, has been the prevailing state
              of mankind. The record of past history is the record, not of
              the success of republics, but of their failure.
              Calvin Coolidge

       It violates right order whenever capital so employs the working or
              wage-earning classes as to divert business and economic
              activity entirely to its own arbitrary will and advantage,
              without any regard to the human dignity of the workers, the
              social character of economic life, social justice, and the
              common good.
              Pope Pius XI

       The foundation on which (our government is) built is the natural
              equality of man, the denial of every pre-eminence but that
              annexed to legal office, and particularly the denial of a
              pre-eminence by birth.
              Thomas Jefferson

       When the government violates the people's rights, insurrection is, for
              the people and for each portion of the people, the most sacred
              of rights and the most indispensable of duties.
              Marquis De Lafayette

       Revolution is the larva of civilization.
              Victor Hugo

       General rebellions and revolts of a whole people never were encouraged
              now or at any time. They are always provoked.
              Edmuns Burke

       It is only by instigation of the wrongs of men that what we call the
              rights of men become turbulent and dangerous.
              James Russell Lowell

       Revolutions are like the most noxious dungheaps, which bring into life
              the noblest vegetables.
              Napoleon

       When all other rights are taken away, the right of rebellion is made
              perfect.
              Thomas Paine

       Caesar had his Brutus, Charles the First his Cromwell, and George the
              Third may profit by their example. If this be treason, make the
              most of it.
              Patrick Henry

       None but tyrants have any business to be afraid.
              Hardouin de Perefixe

       He who strikes terror into others is himself in continual fear.
              Claudian

       Tyrants have not yet discovered any chains that can fetter the mind.
              Colton

       There is something about men more capable of shaking despotic power
              than lightening, whirlwind, or earthquake, that is, the
              threatened indignation of the whole civilized world.
              Daniel Webster

       Anarchy is the sure consequence of tyranny; for no power that is not
              limited by laws can ever be protected by them.
              John Milton

       One sharp, stern struggle, and the slaves of centuries are free.
              George Massey

       The bigger a state becomes the more liberty diminishes.
              Jean Jacques Rousseau

       Every generation must wage a new war for freedom against new forces
              which seek through new devices to enslave mankind.
              Progressive Party Platform

       The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.
              Edmund Burke

       Tyrants are always assassinated too late. That is their great excuse.
              E.M. Cioran

       There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
              conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the
              lead in the introduction of a new order of things.
              Machiavelli