[IWAR] Y2K staffing ramp-up

From: 7Pillars Partners (partnersat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 31 1998 - 09:08:37 PST

    I've gone back and looked at outsourced Y2K fixes done for clients, as well as
    'rush jobs' done by temp hires, and this is turning into a backdoor
    manufacturing opportunity like there has never been before. --MW

     Blair: Will Hire 20,000 to Fight Y2K
     Reuters

     4:00am 30.Mar.98.PST
     LONDON - Britain will hire 20,000 "bug busters" to
     tackle the crisis posed by computers not
     programmed for the millennium date change,
     Prime Minister Tony Blair said in an article
     published today.

     Writing in The Independent, Blair called the
     so-called millennium computer bug a "potential
     technical time bomb" that could damage Britain's
     growth prospects and cause major disruption to
     essential services.

     Blair said he would be unveiling measures to deal
     with the problem during a speech later on Monday.

     These measures would include 70 million pounds
     ($117.7 million) already set aside in the
     government's budget to help small and
     medium-sized companies fix their computer
     systems, he said.

     Grants would be offered to train young people or
     the unemployed and retired to help companies
     deal with the millennium bug, Blair said.

     "If we get the response from business we are
     looking for, there will be an army of 20,000 'bug
     busters' fully trained between now and next April,"
     he said.

     The computer problem known as the millennium
     bug arises because many computer programs
     record dates using only the last two digits of the
     year.

     Such programs could treat the year 2000 as the
     year 1900, causing errors or system crashes that
     could affect everything from cash dispensing
     machines to telephone systems on January 1,
     2000.

     "At home, if we want to remain strong and
     competitive into the next millennium, we have to
     deal with this problem now," Blair wrote.

     "There is a risk that our growth prospects will be
     damaged as companies divert resources to cope
     with computer failures. Some might even go bust
     because they can't fix them."

     Blair said he was increasing the budget for Action
     2,000 - a campaign to raise awareness of the
     millennium bug problem in the private sector - from
     1 million pounds to 17 million pounds.

     Awareness in the sector was now nearly 100
     percent, "but 25 percent of companies haven't
     started taking action yet and they need to do it
     now," Blair said.

     He estimated the cost of dealing with the
     computer problem across the British public sector
     at three billion pounds, but said money was being
     set aside in existing budgets to cover this.

     "Within the public sector, the Health Service and
     local government have a special responsibility,"
     Blair wrote.

     "Without careful preparation, there could be major
     disruption to essential services such as benefit
     payments or even to emergency services such as
     hospitals, the fire and the police."

     The prime minister said his government was
     putting 10 million pounds into a new World Bank
     Trust Fund to provide experts on millennium
     bug-busting training for developing nations and
     expressed the hope that other major industrialized
      and European nations would follow suit.