[risks] Risks Digest 21.45

Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 15:22:11 PDT

    RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest  Wednesday 6 June 2001  Volume 21 : Issue 45

       FORUM ON RISKS TO THE PUBLIC IN COMPUTERS AND RELATED SYSTEMS (comp.risks)
       ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy, Peter G. Neumann, moderator

    ***** See last item for further information, disclaimers, caveats, etc. *****
    This issue is archived at <URL:http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/21.45.html>
    and by anonymous ftp at ftp.sri.com, cd risks .

      Contents:
    Ed Felten and researchers sue RIAA, DoJ over right to publish
      (Declan McCullagh)
    Billboard error message (Phil Agre)
    California bill prohibits online gambling (Jim Griffith)
    Dutch government to act against virtual child pornography (Marcus de Geus)
    Payday delayed by one day in Belgium (Kris Carlier)
    Mobile phones to manage truancy - and other free publicity (Nick Brown)
    Inevitability of risks (Mick Topping)
    Re: The Faith-Based Missile Defense (S. Alexander Jacobson)
    Re: Eurocops want seven-year retention of all phone, Net traffic
      (Morten Norman)
    Re: Our software is *never* wrong (Scott E. Preece)
    WSJ/Word change tracking/"MS Tool Lifts Veil on Spin" (Daniel P. B. Smith)
    Re: Word file turns into two disjoint texts (Lloyd Wood)
    Steve Gibson: Windows XP Vulnerable; Big ISPs just don't care (Chris Meadows)
    Re: Office XP modifies what you type (Bear Giles, LShaping)
    Re: "Hacker Insurance" charges higher rates for Windows systems! (Elana)
    Re: UK Government Gateway blocks non-MS browsers (David G. Bell)
    10th USENIX Security Symposium (Tiffany Peoples)
    Announcement -  16th Annual Software Engineering Symposium 2001
      (Carol Biesecker)
    Abridged info on RISKS (comp.risks)