[risks] Risks Digest 21.64

Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 14:47:58 PDT

    RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest  Saturday 1 September 2001  Volume 21 : Issue 64

       FORUM ON RISKS TO THE PUBLIC IN COMPUTERS AND RELATED SYSTEMS (comp.risks)
       ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy, Peter G. Neumann, moderator

    ***** See last item for further information, disclaimers, caveats, etc. *****
    This issue is archived at <URL:http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/21.64.html>
    and by anonymous ftp at ftp.sri.com, cd risks .

      Contents:
    Temelin nuclear plant software problem (Pete Mellor)
    Blame the victim: vandalized Web sites may be liable for damages (NewsScan)
    More risks when driving (Martin Cohen)
    Risks of "pre-owned" computers (Nick Brown)
    Microsoft Reader e-books broken (David Farber)
    AOL silently dropping mail (Simon Waters)
    eBay fails to protect email addresses of users (Vassilis Prevelakis)
    Re: Avoiding prosecution of the DMCA (A J Stiles)
    Risks and madness on the BT Cellnet site (Mike Perry)
    Not such an equal opportunity (Bill Lamb)
    Re: Code Red 9? Code Crimson (Bob Frankston)
    Risks of outsourced check verification (Peter Simpson)
    Can't hold room, but can bill (Sandy Antunes)
    Caller ID vs. ANI confusion, again (William Kucharski)
    Re: Mixing advertising and credit-card activation (John Clarke)
    REVIEW: "Information Security Management Handbook", Tipton/Krause (Rob Slade)
    Abridged info on RISKS (comp.risks)