[risks] Risks Digest 22.40

Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 20:54:32 PST

RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest  Tuesday 26 November 2002  Volume 22 : Issue 40

   FORUM ON RISKS TO THE PUBLIC IN COMPUTERS AND RELATED SYSTEMS (comp.risks)
   ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy, Peter G. Neumann, moderator

***** See last item for further information, disclaimers, caveats, etc. *****
This issue is archived at <URL:http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/22.40.html>
and by anonymous ftp at ftp.sri.com, cd risks .

  Contents:
Massive identity theft ring broken up (PGN)
Identity thieves strike eBay (Monty Solomon)
eBay sends plaintext password changes (Brian R. Neumann)
More on the Breeders Cup Pick-6 fix (PGN)
Windows quietly deletes Unix files (Doug McIlroy)
Patch slip-up raises security questions (Robert Lemos via Monty Solomon)
RIAA orders US Navy to surrender (Tim Finin via Dave Farber)
Re: Computer problem caused fatal pipeline rupture (Pekka Pihlajasaari)
Re: Readability of ATC displays at the London Area Control Centre
  (Peter B. Ladkin)
UK Publishes Security Requirements for e-Voting (Ian Cuddy)
Re: UK Publishes Security Requirements for e-Voting (Rebecca Mercuri)
REVIEW: "The Privacy Papers", Rebecca Herold (Rob Slade)
REVIEW: "Security, ID Systems and Locks", Joel Konicek/Karen Little (Rob Slade)
Abridged info on RISKS (comp.risks)