[risks] Risks Digest 23.10

Date: Tue Dec 30 2003 - 15:18:55 PST

RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest  Tuesday 30 December 2003  Volume 23 : Issue 10

   FORUM ON RISKS TO THE PUBLIC IN COMPUTERS AND RELATED SYSTEMS (comp.risks)
   ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy, Peter G. Neumann, moderator

***** See last item for further information, disclaimers, caveats, etc. *****
This issue is archived at http://www.risks.org as
  http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/23.10.html
The current issue can be found at
  http://www.csl.sri.com/users/risko/risks.txt

  Contents:
Cybercrime more than doubled in 2003 (NewsScan)
Reliability of network vulnerability testing is decreasing (Charles Preston)
Biometrics: 'Not your father's fingerprints' win out (NewsScan)
Pointless "security" (Huge)
To Err is Human: Building a Safer Health System (Marc Auslander)
VoteHere reports computer break-in (Fredric L. Rice)
Re: Voter information up for grabs (Kelly Bert Manning)
Re: Why have electronic voting machines at all? (Peter Williams)
Electronic voting: social aspects (Andrew o' Baoill)
Re: Over-reliance on PowerPoint (Ron Bean)
Re: Poor writing is the problem, not PowerPoint (Julian Thomas)
An economic argument against PowerPoint (Carson Harding)
Re: Railroad accident (John Hines, John A. Stewart, Ed Ravin, Chris Smith,
  Matthew Delaney, David Cantrell)
Re: Loss of bus braking due to nearby illegally modified transceivers (Huge)
Abridged info on RISKS (comp.risks)