[risks] Risks Digest 23.14

Date: Tue Jan 27 2004 - 16:13:20 PST

RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest  Tuesday 27 January 2004  Volume 23 : Issue 14

   FORUM ON RISKS TO THE PUBLIC IN COMPUTERS AND RELATED SYSTEMS (comp.risks)
   ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy, Peter G. Neumann, moderator

***** See last item for further information, disclaimers, caveats, etc. *****
This issue is archived at http://www.risks.org as
  http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/23.14.html
The current issue can be found at
  http://www.csl.sri.com/users/risko/risks.txt

  Contents:  [Seriously backlogged, spammed, and e-mailed with viruses]
Spirit Rover humbled by classic programming error (Robert Woodhead)
New virus infects PCs, whacks SCO (Monty Solomon)
Panel reports DoD SERVE System fatally flawed - bureaucrats in denial
  (Scott Miller)
Roadside camera claims car going 406 mph (greep)
The risks of naming (Ross Anderson)
"Outsourced and Out of Control" (Lauren Weinstein)
Pun-intended definitions (PGN)
UK data protection laws and the Law of Unintended Consequences
  (Richard Pennington)
Lie-detector glasses, 90% accurate? (Steve Holzworth)
DHS protects vendors of anti-terrorism technologies from liability (Jay Wylie)
Privacy & security threats in one (Jeremy Epstein)
Rob Slade's review of Marcus Ranum's *The Myth of Homeland Security*
  (Marcus J. Ranum)
Proceedings on ... Engineering Principles of System Security ...
  (Daniel P. Faigin)
Abridged info on RISKS (comp.risks)