[risks] Risks Digest 23.27

Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 15:14:14 PST

    RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest  Tuesday 16 March 2004  Volume 23 : Issue 27

       FORUM ON RISKS TO THE PUBLIC IN COMPUTERS AND RELATED SYSTEMS (comp.risks)
       ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy, Peter G. Neumann, moderator

    ***** See last item for further information, disclaimers, caveats, etc. *****
    This issue is archived at http://www.risks.org as
      http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/23.27.html
    The current issue can be found at
      http://www.csl.sri.com/users/risko/risks.txt

      Contents:
    DARPA robot race is a bust (NewsScan)
    Re: DARPA robot race (PGN)
    Can Software Kill? (Debbie Gage and John McCormick via Dan Scherer)
    P2P legal defense by separation of content and key? (Brent J. Nordquist)
    PPI delayed by "computer problems" (Bill Hopkins)
    Microsoft Word reveals document's author -- again (George W. Harris)
    Lost e-votes could flip Napa County race (PGN)
    California voters turned away (PGN)
    Googling Up Passwords, Scott Granneman excerpt (Monty Solomon)
    SSL is being severely stressed by phishing expeditions (Alistair McDonald)
    When is a decimal point not a decimal point? (Darryl Smith)
    Merger Mania (Mike Albaugh)
    New twist to social engineering in virus transmission (John Sawyer)
    Re: An interesting airplane user interface (A.M. Passy)
    People are not as conservative as some think! (Jonathan de Boyne Pollard)
    Re: Buffer overflows (Mike Albaugh)
    2004 IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (Steve Tate)
    Abridged info on RISKS (comp.risks)