[RISKS] Risks Digest 24.20

Date: Fri Mar 17 2006 - 15:05:26 PST

RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest  Friday 17 March 2006  Volume 24 : Issue 20

ACM FORUM ON RISKS TO THE PUBLIC IN COMPUTERS AND RELATED SYSTEMS (comp.risks)
Peter G. Neumann, moderator, chmn ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy

***** See last item for further information, disclaimers, caveats, etc. *****
This issue is archived at <http://www.risks.org> as
  <http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/24.20.html>
The current issue can be found at
  <http://www.csl.sri.com/users/risko/risks.txt>

  Contents:
A risk of laparoscopy (Barnaby Feder)
Security flaws could cripple missile defense network (Bob Brewin via
  Gabe Goldberg)
Tesco advertising SMS unsubscription requires loyalty card membership
  (Toby Douglass)
Elevator software risk (Toby Douglass)
When trusted systems fail (Steve Summit)
It's now a crime to delete files (Scott Peterson)
Another Paypal scam, social engineering against ethical people
  (Mark Batten-Carew)
Mindless precision (Andrew Koenig)
Re: Complexity causes 50% of product returns (Henry Baker)
Re: Excel garbles microarray experiment data (D. McKirahan,
  Philip Nasadowski, John Deltuvia, Devon McCormick)
Australian emergency number has incorrect address information (Josh Parris)
IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, Program (Cipher Editor)
Call For Proposals: Data Surveillance and Privacy Protection workshop
  (Simson Garfinkel)
Abridged info on RISKS (comp.risks)