[RISKS] Risks Digest 24.28

Date: Thu May 11 2006 - 13:52:11 PDT

RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest  Thursday 11 May 2006  Volume 24 : Issue 28

ACM FORUM ON RISKS TO THE PUBLIC IN COMPUTERS AND RELATED SYSTEMS (comp.risks)
Peter G. Neumann, moderator, chmn ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy

***** See last item for further information, disclaimers, caveats, etc. *****
This issue is archived at <http://www.risks.org> as
  <http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/24.28.html>
The current issue can be found at
  <http://www.csl.sri.com/users/risko/risks.txt>

  Contents:
The Problem of Test-Induced Failure & the Space Shuttle (Harry Crowther)
BA website discloses passenger passport numbers and DoB (Adam Laurie)
Open Letter to Google on Privacy (Lauren Weinstein)
Fraud in tampering with tamper-proof chip-and-PIN equipment (Nick Rothwell)
Re: Triple DES Upgrades May Introduce New ATM Vulnerability (Jim Daley,
  (Bill Cheswick)
NYPD deputy inspector caught rigging crime statistics (Ed Ravin)
Google Captcha (Mark Johnson)
Re: 911 call show wrong address (Ray Arsenault)
Bell inadvertently blocks 1-866 numbers (Rod Davison)
Re: Scarily Prophetic Ad (John Linwood Griffin)
Re: New Private Investigator laws for e-USA (Stanley F. Quayle)
In Wake of SAT Errors, Senator Seeks New Rules on College Testing
  (Karen Arenson via Monty Solomon)
Spelling (Richard S. Russell)
REVIEW: "Governance Guidebook", Fred Cohen (Rob Slade)
Abridged info on RISKS (comp.risks)