[RISKS] Risks Digest 25.40

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 13:44:55 PDT
RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest  Tuesday 21 October 2008  Volume 25 : Issue 40

ACM FORUM ON RISKS TO THE PUBLIC IN COMPUTERS AND RELATED SYSTEMS (comp.risks)
Peter G. Neumann, moderator, chmn ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy

***** See last item for further information, disclaimers, caveats, etc. *****
This issue is archived at <http://www.risks.org> as
  <http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/25.40.html>
The current issue can be found at
  <http://www.csl.sri.com/users/risko/risks.txt>

  Contents:
Treasury Office Faults IRS Computer Security (AP via PGN)
Springer: Open for all to see (Debora Weber-Wulff)
TBS leaves baseball championship game viewers in the dark (Jim Reisert)
Drunk, and Dangerous, at the Keyboard (Alex Williams via Monty Solomon)
Thousands Face Mix-Ups in Voter Registrations (Mary Pat Flaherty)
Ohio Secretary of State's Web Site Hacked; voter suppression tactics
  (Steve Kelem)
>From BBV: Two-Minute warning on voting machines (Steve Kelem)
Unbelievable security violation (Identity withheld)
Re: More Password Reset Procedures (Identity withheld)
Risks: Unlock your house via the Internet (Gabe Goldberg)
Re: Remarkable --  United Airlines Stock (Martin Gregorie)
Re: Outliers (Jurek Kirakowski)
Re: Investigator: Computer likely caused Qantas plunge (Peter Rieden, Ron Garret)
Re: Sydney NS vs. Sydney NSW (Chuck Charlton)
Re: Illinois high-speed trains (Joseph Brennan)
Re: Risks of a new laptop (Scott Miller)
Correction/disclaimer re unistable polyhedron (Ken Knowlton)
Re: The folly of retaining default settings (Mark Thorson)
Re: D10T: National Debt Clock is out of digits (Mark Hull-Richter)
Abridged info on RISKS (comp.risks)

Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 15:55:16 PDT
From: "Peter G. Neumann" <neumann_at_private>
Subject: Treasury Office Faults IRS Computer Security

Two new IRS computer systems that will eventually cost taxpayers almost $2
billion are being put into service despite known security and privacy
vulnerabilities, a Treasury watchdog said in a report coming out Thursday.
The office of the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration said
Internal Revenue Service officials failed to ensure that identified
weaknesses had been addressed before putting the new systems into use.
Inspector General J. Russell George said it was ''very troublesome'' that
the IRS ''was aware of, and even self-identified, these weaknesses.''

The IRS, in a statement, said security of taxpayer data ''is of paramount
importance'' to the agency and that, as noted in the report, it had
implemented many of its recommendations and taken steps to improve security.
It stressed that no taxpayer data has been harmed and numerous security
safeguards were in place.

The report focused on the Customer Account Data Engine, which will provide
the foundation for managing all taxpayer accounts, and the Account Management
Services system, which will provide faster and improved access by employees
to taxpayer account data.

Both systems are gradually being put into use. CADE, expected to cost more
than $1 billion through 2012 to develop and operate, this year processed
about 20 percent of the 142 billion returns filed. The Account Management
Services system, AMS, still in its initial stages, will cost more than $700
million to develop and maintain through 2024.  [Source: AP item, 16 Oct 2008]
  http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/washington/AP-IRS-Computer-Security.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 21:14:44 +0200
From: Debora Weber-Wulff <D.Weber-Wulff_at_fhtw-berlin.de>
Subject: Springer: Open for all to see

The German weekly magazine *Der Spiegel* 19 Oct 2008 reports on the data
protection problems that a large rival publishing house, Springer, has had
in the past few days.

It turned out that people who had submitted ads for their local ad papers
online had all of their data -- name, address, mobile telephone, bank
account info -- available online, helpfully indexed by Google.

It was especially problematic for people who had put in, shall we say,
rather delicate, anonymous ads.  One example was the retired gentleman
looking for men to play stripping card games with him; another person was
looking for a bisexual playmate.  And there they were, searchable and
unencrypted on the open Internet.

It was discovered by a system administrator who was doing an ego search in
September.  He was shocked to find his mobile telephone number cheerfully
delivered by Google.  He investigated and found the data to be from an ad he
had placed about a year and a half ago with a Springer newspaper for selling
his apartment.

Springer reacted quickly, removing the data, but it has taken ages to purge
it from the Googlebanks.  The system administrator is a bit angry at
Springer, as they have not offered to pay him damages for having to get a
new phone number.

I googled the admin's name, I still get a hit on "Visual Form Maker -
Adminscript" for the Hamburger Abendblatt, but the cache data is gone and
the Link only returns a 404.
http://www.hamburgerwochenblatt.de/php/edit_table.php?order=mwst&sort=ASC&sw=j&tbl=kleinanzeigen
The tool is advertised as offering forms for web pages that can be created
in an uncomplicated way for people without knowledge of programming.

Perhaps people who cannot program should not be entrusted with making forms
for web pages with sensitive data?

Prof. Dr. Debora Weber-Wulff, FHTW Berlin, FB 4, Treskowallee 8, 10313
Berlin GERMANY  +49-30-5019-2320 http://www.f4.fhtw-berlin.de/people/weberwu/

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 23:05:40 -0600
From: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert_at_private>
Subject: TBS leaves baseball championship game viewers in the dark

Said the TBS network statement: "Two circuit breakers in our Atlanta
transmission operations tripped, causing the master router and its backup --
which are necessary to transmit any incoming feed outbound -- to shut down.
This impacted our live feed from being distributed to any of the other
networks in the Turner portfolio and caused the delay in our coverage.  Both
our primary and backup routers were impacted by this problem.  We apologize
to baseball fans for this mishap that caused a delay in our coverage."

According to Pomeroy, the failure of the routers was unprecedented and
prevented TBS from broadcasting a live message of any kind, including an
informational scrawl at the bottom of the screen.  Pomeroy said the network
had no choice but to put on taped programming, which resulted in "The Steve
Harvey Show" at least temporarily ending up in the slot reserved for Game 6.

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/massarotti/2008/10/tbs_leaves_viewers_in_dark.html

Jim Reisert AD1C/Ø, <jjreisert@private>, http://www.ad1c.us

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 19:03:31 -0400
From: Monty Solomon <monty_at_private>
Subject: Drunk, and Dangerous, at the Keyboard (Alex Williams)

[Source: Alex Williams, *The New York Times*, 19 Oct 2008]

ANYONE who has spent more than a few minutes over the last couple of weeks
trolling tech blogs or cocktail lounges has probably heard about Mail
Goggles, a new feature on Google's Gmail program that is intended to help
stamp out a scourge that few knew existed: late-night drunken e-mailing.

The experimental program requires any user who enables the function to
perform five simple math problems in 60 seconds before sending e-mails
between 10 p.m. and 4 a.m. on weekends. That time frame apparently
corresponds to the gap between cocktail No. 1 and cocktail No. 4, when
tapping out an e-mail message to an ex or a co-worker can seem like the
equivalent of bungee jumping without a cord.

Mail Goggles is not the first case of a technology developed to keep people
from endangering themselves or others with the machinery of daily life after
they have had a few. For years, judges have ordered drunken-driving
offenders to install computerized breath-analyzers linked to their car's
ignition system to prevent them from starting their vehicles when
intoxicated.

But as the first sobriety checkpoint on what used to be called the
information superhighway, the Mail Goggles program also raises a larger
question: In an age when so much of our routine communication is
accomplished with our fingertips, are we becoming so tethered to our
keyboards that we really need the technological equivalent of trigger locks
on firearms?

In interviews with people who confessed to imbibing and typing at the same
time - sometimes with regrettable consequences - the answer seems to be
yes. ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/19/fashion/19drunk.html?partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=all

------------------------------

Date:         Mon, 20 Oct 2008 13:20:51 -0400
From: technews_at_private
Subject: Thousands Face Mix-Ups in Voter Registrations

[Source: Mary Pat Flaherty, *The Washington Post*, 18 Oct 2008, P. A1,
from ACM TechNews, Monday, October 20, 2008]

New state voter registration systems across the U.S. are incorrectly
rejecting voters and threatening to disrupt the election process.  The
problems are occurring in states that switched from locally managed lists of
voters to statewide databases, a change required by the Help America Vote
Act.  Although the switch is supposed to be a more efficient and accurate
way to keep lists up to date, the transition is causing the systems to
question the registrations of thousands of voters when discrepancies occur
between their registration information and other official records.  In
Alabama, for example, dozens of voters are being labeled as convicted felons
due to incorrect lists, and Michigan is scrambling to restore thousands of
names it illegally removed from voter rolls due to residency questions.  In
Wisconsin, tens of thousands of voters could be affected, as officials admit
that their database is wrong one out of every five times it flags a voter,
often due to data discrepancies such as a middle initial or a typo in a
birth date.  Herbert Lin, who is studying the issue for the federal Election
Assistance Commission, says that states are not using the "best scientific
knowledge known today," as required by law.  One of the problems with
Wisconsin's database, which has been in place since August, is that 95,000
voters are incorrectly listed as being 108 years old.  If no birth date was
available when names were moved into the electronic system, it automatically
assigned 1 Jan 1900.  By federal law, anyone whose name is flagged must be
notified and given a chance to prove his or her eligibility, but voting
rights experts say voters are not always alerted, and some, even if they are
notified, may simply decide to skip the election as a result.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/17/AR2008101703360.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 10:25:49 -0700
From: Steve Kelem <steve_at_private>
Subject: Ohio Secretary of State's Web Site Hacked; voter suppression tactics

Ohio Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner cut back on the accessible
functionality of their website after apparent penetration efforts.  This was
reportedly not the first such attack.  [Source: Sarah Lai Stirland, WiReD
blog, 20 Oct 2008]
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/10/ohio-secretary.html

Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:23:53 -0700
From: Steve Kelem <steve_at_private>
Subject: From BBV: Two-Minute warning on voting machines

This message is from Black Box Voting, a non-profit that monitors voting
irregularities and fraud.  Steve Kelem, Los Altos Hills, CA