[RISKS] Risks Digest 26.80

Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 16:25:06 PDT
RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest  Wednesday 25 April 2012  Volume 26 : Issue 80

ACM FORUM ON RISKS TO THE PUBLIC IN COMPUTERS AND RELATED SYSTEMS (comp.risks)
Peter G. Neumann, moderator, chmn ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy

***** See last item for further information, disclaimers, caveats, etc. *****
This issue is archived at <http://www.risks.org> as
  <http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/26.80.html>
The current issue can be found at
  <http://www.csl.sri.com/users/risko/risks.txt>

  Contents:
Airline pilot distracted by new text messages botches landing attempt
  (Mike Flacy)
Backdoor in mission-critical systems (Dan Goodin via C Y Cripps)
The Power of Individual Voters to Transform Their Government (William Cox)
Risks from computers in elections? (Brad Friedman via Mark E. Smith)
Thieves steal fiber (Joel Garry)
Berkeley High students hack into attendance system (Jill Tucker)
TapLogger (Jim Reisert)
Solar panel production page reveals name, address, real-time info
  (Jonathan Kamens)
Re: Insider attack on smart meters (Paul Wallich)
Compromised ATMs of no Consequence to Banks or Customers (Chris J Brady)
Google Street View face blurring side effects (Ed Ravin)
Occupy Wall Street protester doesn't own his tweets, judge rules
  (Lauren Weinstein)
Harvard Library open access? (Dan Geer)
White House pushes back on CISPA "cybersecurity" legislation (The Hill and LW)
11 percent of all sexts sent to the wrong recipient (Natt Garun via
  Monty Solomon)
"The Flight from Conversation" (Sherry Turkle)
Review: CERT Guide to Insider Threats, Capelli/Moore/Trzeciak (Ben Rothke)
Henry Petroski does it again! (PGN)
Gmail outage much broader than originally reported (Juan Carlos Perez via
  Gene Wirchenko)
Re: "Did first DDOS attack sink the Titanic?" (Jeremy Ardley)
Re: Hospital generator failure following earthquake (Dick Mills)
The hidden danger of Windows 8 Microsoft Accounts (Woody Leonhard via
  Gene Wirchenko)
Abridged info on RISKS (comp.risks)