[RISKS] Risks Digest 27.10

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 12:00:40 PST
RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest  Thurs 29 November 2012  Volume 27 : Issue 10

ACM FORUM ON RISKS TO THE PUBLIC IN COMPUTERS AND RELATED SYSTEMS (comp.risks)
Peter G. Neumann, moderator, chmn ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy

***** See last item for further information, disclaimers, caveats, etc. *****
This issue is archived at <http://www.risks.org> as
  <http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/27.10.html>
The current issue can be found at
  <http://www.csl.sri.com/users/risko/risks.txt>

  Contents:
Commentary on L'Aquila earthquake verdict (Rob Seaman)
Drivers adapt to red-light cameras (Jim Reisert)
Close margin in Alaska senate race prompts recount (PGN)
Skunk knocks Colorado TV station off air (Monty Solomon)
Cambridge to Study Technology's Risk to Humans (Sylvia Hui via ACM TechNews)
U.S. Congress considers mandating smart cards for Medicare beneficiaries
  and providers (Kevin Fu)
How least-cost routing slams rural telephone service, getting worse
  (Lauren Weinstein)
"Skype vulnerability may have exposed your messages" (Woody Leonhard via
  Gene Wirchenko)
SEC Employees Brought Sensitive Data to Black Hat... (PGN)
NASA Suffers Large Data Breach Affecting Employees, Contractors, ...
  (Bob Charette via Ed Levinson)
"Public clouds; risky business for MSPs" (Gene Wirchenko)
Hotel room door locks vulnerable to hacking (Mark Thorson)
RFID used to track school students (Nick Brown)
More on suspended student refusing to wear tracking device (Tim Cushing
  via Monty Solomon)
Barnes & Noble Ebooks expire with your credit card! (Tim Cushing via
  Monty Solomon)
Syria blacks out the Internet (Paul Saffo)
Excellent article on Chinese censorhip (Philipp Winter/Jedidiah Crandall
  via PGN)
When It Comes to Security, We're Back to Feudalism (WiReD via Dave Farber)
"Malware uses Google Docs as proxy to command and control server"
  (Lucian Constantin via Gene Wirchenko)
Trojan sent blackmails from PCs. Japanese Police arrested PC owners
  (Chiaki Ishikawa)
Cyber Security and Information Intelligence Research Workshop
  (Frederick T. Sheldon)
Abridged info on RISKS (comp.risks)