[RRE]"code red" worm

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 17:35:53 PDT

    The "Code Red" worm, currently exploding on the Internet courtesy of
    a hole in Microsoft's server software, is fascinating.  I don't want
    to overhype it, but it's symptomatic of how fundamentally screwed-up
    Internet security is.  Yes, I realize that Microsoft has issued a
    patch.  But even if 95% of sites installed the patch, the remaining
    5% represent enough fire-power to organize a catastrophic DDOS attack.
    There are millions of sites out there, and scores of patches that they
    ought to be installing, and it's not surprising that vast numbers of
    sites, Microsoft and Sun and everything else, are full of known holes.
    I'm not saying a catastrophic attack is going to happen tomorrow, but
    day by day we're so close to the edge that it blows my mind.  We have
    been rebuilding our whole civilization on top of a technology that
    is imploding before our eyes.  The lights stay on only because none
    of the malicious hackers, or the 13-year-olds who use their scripts,
    feels like turning them off yet.  What's wrong with us?

    Thanks to the Internet reader who gathered most of these URL's.

    "Code Red" Worm Set to Flood Internet
    http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6617292.html

    This article opens as follows:

      An analysis of the fast-spreading "Code Red" computer worm reveals
      that infected computers are programmed to attack the White House Web
      site with a denial-of-service attack Thursday evening, potentially
      slowing parts of the Internet to a crawl.

      The worm has compromised more than 100,000 English-language servers
      running Microsoft's Web server software as of late Thursday.  In
      addition, each of those infected computers are expected to flood the
      Whitehouse.gov address with data starting at 5 p.m. PDT, according
      to an analysis by network-protection company eEye Digital Security.

    That's right now.  The White House Web site appears to be operational,
    however.

    This article is more skeptical about the potential for damage, though
    impressed by the numbers:

      More Up-to-date CRW news, including updated infection estimates
      http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/12154.html

    Here are more technical analyses:

    Original analaysis of "Code Red" Worm from eEye
    http://www.securityfocus.com/templates/archive.pike?list=1&start=2001-07-15&mid=197828&end=2001-07-21&fromthread=0&threads=0&

    Updated analysis of CRW from eEye
    http://www.securityfocus.com/templates/archive.pike?list=1&start=2001-07-15&mid=198068&end=2001-07-21&fromthread=0&threads=0&

    SANS Incident diary for 18 July, with lots of statistics
      (content of the URL may change - as of 19 July 2350 GMT, was good)
    http://www.incidents.org/diary/diary.php

    Code Red Worm: Killed By Reboot
    http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/12116.html

    Various topics, including CRW:
    http://www.eeye.com/~apps/modules/Forum/threads.asp?cat=t%2E0430%2E225832%2E446478&filter=90

    an unrelated worm that is also spreading very fast right now
    http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,45397,00.html