[RRE]pointers

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 15:10:10 PDT

    Here are some more URL's.  Thanks to everyone who contributed.

    As a periodic reminder, you can find the RRE archives here:

      http://commons.somewhere.com/rre/

    Some people prefer to follow the list on the Web, so that's the place.
    Alternatively, you can get a complete reverse-chronological list of the
    URL's here:

      http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/urls.html

    One reader wrote me a rather contorted letter insinuating that there
    was something wrong with me inserting my own commentaries on the URL's.
    On the faint chance that anyone is confused, my convention is that the
    URL Labels That Are Capitalized Like This are titles drawn from the
    pages themselves (sometimes edited for clarity).  "Labels in quotes
    like this" are also from the pages (again, sometimes edited).  The
    "lower-case commentaries like this one" are obviously my own, as are
    the commentaries in parentheses (like this).  All of this complexity
    is in response to repeated observations that the pages' own titles are
    often not as informative as you'd like.  The trade-off is that labeling
    the pages with my commentaries rather than the original titles makes
    it harder to figure out whether you've read the same article before
    somewhere else.

    Finally, I got hit by another hoax.  The piece about a WTO PR campaign
    aimed at young people reveals itself as a hoax at the bottom.  That's
    the price of trying to operate this list at light-speed.  It seemed
    like a badly constructed hoax: normally the point of a hoax is that
    one should feel some shame in falling for it.  In this case, however,
    the hoax scenario was *so* something-that-could-really-happen that all
    I feel is mild annoyance.  Oh well.

    politics

    Elections on the Level
    http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/opinion/columns/dionneej/A40699-2001Jul23.html

    Critics Decry Bush Stand on Treaties
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/washdc/july01/2001-07-27-bush-treaties-usat.htm

    MIT Physicist, a Missile Defense Critic, Says Pentagon Is Trying to Silence Him
    (threatening scholars who reveal public information -- just like China)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/27/politics/27MISS.html
    http://www.armscontrol.ru/start/publications/letter.pdf

    Armed Forces Transformation Dies Aborning
    http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-000061017jul26.story

    power conservation and legal action against manipulators was enough after all
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-000060962jul26.column
    http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-000061018jul26.story

    jargon watch: "distorted" now means "didn't go along with our spin"
    (no factual evidence is required to support these accusations of "distortion")
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A44801-2001Jul24.html

    jargon watch: "voice of the people" rhetoric in Nashville capitol riot
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-072301tax.story

    remarkable similarities between George W. Bush and Megawati Sukarnoputri
    http://slate.msn.com/Code/chatterbox/chatterbox.asp?Show=7/24/2001&idMessage=8034

    conferences

    Collaborative Computing in Higher Education, Austin, 4-5 October 2001
    http://www.internet2.edu/activities/html/p2pworkshop.html

    Networked Learning in a Global Environment, Berlin, 1-4 May 2002
    http://www.icsc-naiso.org/conferences/nl2002/

    Computer Supported Cooperative Work, New Orleans, 16-20 November 2002
    http://www.fxpal.com/conferencesworkshops/cscw2002/

    Distributed Communities on the Web, Sydney, 3-5 April 2002
    http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dcw2002/

    Smart Appliances and Wearable Computing, Vienna, 2 July 2002
    http://www.mkg.sfc.keio.ac.jp/IWSAWC2002/

    Invisible Computing, Brisbane, 16-18 May 2001
    http://www.invicom.org/

    Ubiquitous Computing and Communications, Barcelona, 8-12 September 2001
    http://wwwtec.informatik.uni-rostock.de/RA/pact2001/

    Middleware, Heidelberg, 12-16 November 2001
    http://www.labs.agilent.com/middleware2001/

    RSA Cryptography Conference, San Jose, 18-22 February 2002
    http://www.rsaconference.com/rsa2002/cryptotrack.html

    news from Planet Microsoft

    read down to Zooko's comment about the VeriSign-Microsoft alliance
    http://www.infoanarchy.org/?op=displaystory;sid=2001/7/22/19734/8204

    Microsoft Ignores Those XP Tacklers
    http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/jul2001/nf20010726_629.htm

    privacy complaint against Windows XP
    http://www.epic.org/privacy/consumer/MS_complaint.pdf

    AOL to Offer Bounty for Space on New PC's
    (remember when we mocked the "old economy" of lumbering corporate dinosaurs?)
    http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A51103-2001Jul25.html

    intellectual property

    "Napster will be the most tightly controlled music supplier on the net"

    Peer-to-Peer Architecture Case Study: Gnutella Network
    http://www.cs.uchicago.edu/research/publications/techreports/TR-2001-26

    National Academies' site on intellectual property
    http://ip.nationalacademies.org/

    USACM letter to the Association of American Publishers on the Russian hacker
    http://www.acm.org/usacm/IP/AAP-letter.html

    technology

    IEEE Forms First-Mile Ethernet Study Group
    http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20010718S0061

    Cisco Rallies Industry for Next-Gen, v6 Internet
    http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20010713S0067

    UPS to Deploy Bluetooth, Wireless LAN Network
    http://www.computerworld.com/storyba/0,4125,NAV47_STO62459,00.html

    more on cell phone jammers
    http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1004-200-6678412.html

    everything else

    The Information Society, issue on globalization of electronic commerce
    http://www.slis.indiana.edu/TIS/basic_info/e-commerce.html

    Search Engines and Editorial Integrity
    http://ojr.usc.edu/content/story.cfm?request=611

    The Global Media Ownership Chart
    http://www.mediachannel.org/ownership/

    CERT Advisory: Continued Threat of the "Code Red" Worm

    Virulent Worm Calls Into Doubt Our Ability to Protect the Net
    http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-201-6658647-0.html

    JDS Uniphase reports a loss equal to 3/4 of its entire market value
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/27/technology/27OPTI.html

    Huge Identity Theft Uncovered
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/604496.asp

    Historical Overfishing and the Recent Collapse of Coastal Ecosystems
    http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/293/5530/629
    http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/atc/20010726.atc.13.rmm
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000061189jul27.story

    more on extreme police violence against globalization protesters in Genoa
    (the caribineri have been waiting for Berlusconi for half a century)
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/globalisation/story/0,7369,528206,00.html

    huge Hindu festival next week in London  (very cool)
    http://stream.guardian.co.uk:7080/ramgen/news/audio2001/0726bates.ra
    http://www.hinduyouthuk.org/

    end