[RRE]attack

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 10:03:43 PDT

    I've enclosed some more URL's related to the attacks on the east coast.

    Although I want the attackers caught as much as anyone, I'm concerned by
    some of the language I'm hearing, including some nearly fascist rhetoric
    about America being "soft".  I was happy to hear George Bush emphasize
    that civil liberties will be protected.  If you understand the attack as
    an assault on freedom, then it hardly makes sense to diminish freedom as
    a result.

    We do need to improve security, but we should not understand the need
    for heightened security in a broad, vague way as a cultural imperative.
    We do not need a police state, and we should not militarize our society.
    Rather, we should view security as a design problem.  We have an opening
    now, a brief window when the airlines cannot undermine improved security
    in their own commercial interests.  Maybe we can also force Microsoft
    to design its products in a secure way, rather than exposing us to the
    severe information security problems we've seen in the last few months
    with its fundamentally shoddy architectures.  We should take advantage
    of this opening to redesign our aircraft, buildings, software, and
    institutions in a rational way.  Consider some examples:

     * Look at the doors between aircraft cabins and the cockpit.  Anyone
    could knock down those doors.  Of course, just fixing the doors isn't
    enough, but it's an example of the concrete design problems that we can
    address.  We have a chance to completely rethink the interior spaces
    of aircraft, which could benefit dramatically from the attention of
    an industrial design firm.

     * We also have a chance to implement long-delayed proposals for things
    like fuel tank safety.  How well do we understand the entire life cycle
    of jet fuel, surely one of the most dangerous substances in existence?

     * Next-generation digital aircraft electronics should be rethought more
    deeply for their contributions to security, as well as their security
    vulnerabilities, before their architecture is set in stone.  Right now
    the controllers on the ground have far too tenuous an idea of where the
    planes are, especially in emergency conditions.  It's absurd that an
    attacker can simply turn the tracking devices off.

     * Many airports predate modern security procedures, with the result
    that the security arrangements are crammed into spaces where they
    don't belong.  The physical design of the conveyor belts on the luggage
    scanners is terrible, and the signs are useless.  And have you actually
    looked at the video display from the X-ray unit?  The whole system can
    be redesigned to be more meaningful, more reliable, and less frustrating
    -- another job for real industrial designers.

     * How did the incentives get set up to pay the airport security people
    minimum wage?  Who's allowing the airlines to use security procedures to
    play out their conflicting agendas about baggage size?  The institution
    of airport security needs to be redesigned.  One approach would be to
    federalize it; those who don't like to federalize things are invited to
    come up with designs of their own.

     * Another area that needs to be redesigned is the identification
    system for airport, airline, security, and law enforcement personnel
    in airports.  As it is, anyone can wave any badge-like object at
    anyone else and go wherever they want.  Identification systems that
    would be unacceptably invasive for the general public are reasonable
    for employees in security-sensitive environments.  Identification
    systems in general are a slow-motion catastrophe, and simplistic
    proposals like a national ID are a poor substitute for fine-grained
    attention to the details of how identities get administered in
    practice.  Identification also has an information-design angle that
    is usually neglected, given the small, cryptic, hard-to-read markings
    on most identity documents.

    In short, we need an analytical approach and a design approach.
    Vague abstractions are counterproductive.  It is useless to ask
    "how much of our civil liberties do we need to give up?" or "is our
    intelligence capacity too constrained?" or "we need more security,
    but how much is enough?".  We should look at problems concretely, in
    specifics.  Seeming tensions between privacy and technology routinely
    disappear once problems are considered concretely and in detail.
    So the question is not "can biometrics solve the problem?", since
    biometrics, as such, in general, can't solve anything.  It is entirely
    conceivable that specific biometric technologies can play a specific
    role in a systemic redesign of the security systems at airports and
    elsewhere, including online.  Indiscriminate use of biometrics to
    identify everyone and everything is useless, and it's also dangerous
    if it's simply pasted on top of dysfunctional institutions, or if it
    substitutes for concrete, analytical thinking.

    Wall Street Journal coverage
    (appears to be available without a subscription)
    http://interactive.wsj.com/pages/terattack.htm

    Yahoo links to news stories etc
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/US/Terrorism/

    eyewitness accounts
    http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/talking_point/newsid_1537000/1537530.stm

    online mechanisms for donating to the Red Cross
    http://www.amazon.com/paypage/PKAXFNQH7EKCX
    http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/relief-outside

    legal coverage
    http://www.law.com/

    mailing list to connect people who can volunteer or provide resources
    http://207.22.68.76/911volunteers.html

    aircraft flight tracks
    http://www.aviationnow.com/avnow/spSec/wtcst.jsp

    front pages of 50 newspapers' coverage of the attack
    http://www.poynter.org/terrorism/pdf1.htm

    Current Awareness via Streaming Audio/Video
    http://gwu.edu/~gprice/audio.htm

    Speech/Transcripts/Statements from US and Foreign Leaders
    http://gwu.edu/~gprice/speech.htm

    Anonymous Remailer Operators Start to Take Remailers Offline
    http://www.inet-one.com/cypherpunks/current/msg00272.html

    Middle East Newswire
    http://www.middleeastwire.com/newswire/

    Two Planes Hit Twin Towers at Exactly the Worst Spot
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000073606sep12.story

    Security Experts Knew a Major Attack Was Possible
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14031-2001Sep11.html

    Insurance Cost for Terrorist Attack to Near $1 Billion
    http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/depth/insure091201.htm

    Reports: Boston Investigators Find Evidence in Attacks
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010912/ts/attack_suspects_dc_2.html

    civil engineering aspects of the building collapse
    http://www.civil.usyd.edu.au/wtc.htm

    online discussion site for pilots
    http://www.pprune.org/

    Rescuers Struggle at Pentagon
    http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_1539000/1539839.stm

    Why the Killers Threaten World Prosperity
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1538000/1538958.stm

    In Shock, Teachers Downplay Tragedy
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000073649sep12.story

    EBay Cancels Auctions of Attack-Related Items
    (some idiots were actually gathering rubble in order to sell it on eBay)
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000073609sep12.story

    end