[RRE]attack

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Sun Sep 16 2001 - 12:30:29 PDT

    Here are some more URL's.  Thanks to everyone who contributed.

    **

    This batch of URL's, which include sections on terrorism discourse,
    civil liberties, World War III, and psychological responses to the
    attacks, among other things, also includes some propaganda mixed in
    with the real news coverage.  It's impossible to know for sure what's
    what, and I have not tried to mark everything that seems dubious to
    me.  Besides, if I find an article dubious in the Peshawar Post, would
    I find the same article dubious in the Jerusalem Post or Washington
    Post?  Should I?  Use your judgement.

    **

    If you want to keep track of what you've read, you can direct your
    browser to the Web-based RRE archives:

      http://commons.somewhere.com/rre/

    There you'll find the recent messages in reverse chronological order.
    Some people have asked me if I can put all of the links on a single
    page, the same way I do with the "pointers" links that I send to the
    list.  Although I do have a plain-text list of all the URL's in order
    to help avoid duplicates, I've decided not to put them on a Web page.
    It would be too much work.  Hopefully the archive is good enough.

    **

    psychological response

    Some Therapists Caution That Trauma Services Could Backfire
    (need to distinguish between normal and pathological responses to trauma)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/16/health/16MENT.html

    psychological response to the attacks in Boston
    http://www.globe.com/dailyglobe2/256/nation/A_widely_shared_loss_leaves_few_unmarked+.shtml

    Disaster Mental Health Guidebook
    http://www.wramc.amedd.army.mil/departments/socialwork/provider/DMHS.htm

    Training Manual for Mental Health and Human Service Workers in Major Disasters
    http://www.mentalhealth.org/publications/allpubs/ADM90-538/

    Helping Children Cope with Disasters and Trauma (video)
    http://www.wmsu.org/programs/jean_baker.htm

    Primary Care Treatment of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
    http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000901/1035.html

    Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: The Burden to the Individual and to Society
    http://www.psychiatrist.com/supplenet/v61s05/02index.htm

    Comorbidity of Psychiatric Disorders and PTSD
    http://www.psychiatrist.com/supplenet/v61s07/61s07.pdf#nameddest=brady

    Advice on Communicating with Children about Disasters
    http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/disastercomm.htm

    Law Enforcement Traumatic Stress
    http://www.aaets.org/arts/art87.htm

    Psychiatric Dimensions of Disaster
    http://www.psych.org/pract_of_psych/disaster.cfm

    National Center for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
    http://www.ncptsd.org/

    The Child Survivor of Traumatic Stress
    http://users.umassmed.edu/Kenneth.Fletcher/kidsurv.html

    Recovering From Disasters and Other Traumatic Events
    http://helping.apa.org/therapy/traumaticstress.html

    information on bereavement
    http://www.utulsa.edu/cpsc/bereavement.htm

    terrorism discourse

    Bin Laden: Architect of New Global Terrorism
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38213-2001Sep15.html

    Congressional Research Service reports, some recently updated
    (apparently you can't link to the reports individually)
    http://www.house.gov/shays/CRS/CRSProducts.htm

    Response to Terrorism: US Government Documents and Sources, 1995-2001
    http://usinfo.state.gov/topical/pol/terror/archive1.htm

    Domestic Response Capabilities for Terrorism With Weapons of Mass Destruction
    (December 2000)
    http://www.rand.org/nsrd/terrpanel/

    Occupant Behavior During the 1993 World Trade Center Evacuation
    http://fire.nist.gov/bfrlpubs/fire95/art137.html

    Terrorism and Threats to US Interests in the Middle East (July 2000)
    http://www.house.gov/hasc/pressreleases/2000/00-07-13saxton.html
    http://commdocs.house.gov/committees/security/has195240.000/has195240_0f.htm

    How Terrorism's Leaders Mobilize
    http://www.ksg.harvard.edu/news/experts/stern_dec2000.htm

    Executive Order Prohibiting Transactions With Middle East Terrorists (1998)
    http://www.nara.gov/fedreg/eo1998.html#13099
    http://www.nara.gov/fedreg/eo1995.html#12947

    Terrorist Group Profiles
    http://web.nps.navy.mil/~library/tgp/tgpndx.htm

    The Global Rise of Religious Violence
    http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/8874.html

    Terrorism Experts Discuss Convictions in the Africa Embassy Bombings (May 2001)
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/international/jan-june01/bombing_5-29.html

    USS Cole Attacked (October 2000)
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/military/july-dec00/cole_10-12.html

    articles from Foreign Affairs

    The Taliban: Exporting Extremism (November 1999)
    http://www.foreignaffairs.org/Search/document_briefings.asp?i=19991101faessay1017.xml

    License to Kill (November 1998)
    (Osama bin Laden's main jihad grievance: US troops in Arabia)
    http://www.foreignaffairs.org/Search/document_briefings.asp?i=19981101facomment1428.xml

    Beyond Border Control (November 2000)
    (new technologies and techniques for border control)
    http://www.foreignaffairs.org/Search/document_briefings.asp?i=20001101faessay936.xml

    Keeping America's Military Edge (January 2001)
    (new missions ranging from peacekeeping to dealing with terrorism)
    http://www.foreignaffairs.org/Search/document_briefings.asp?i=20010101FAEssay4246.xml

    Catastrophic Terrorism: Tackling the New Danger (November 1998)
    http://www.foreignaffairs.org/Search/document_briefings.asp?i=19981101faessay1434.xml

    The New Threat of Mass Destruction (January 1998)
    (domestic terrorism and civil defense)
    http://www.foreignaffairs.org/Search/document_briefings.asp?i=19980101faessay1356.xml

    Pakistan's Jihad Culture (November 2000)
    http://www.foreignaffairs.org/articles/stern1112.html

    World War III

    Broad New US Strategy Emerging to Fight Terror
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000074603sep16.story

    Old US Military Strategies Are Shaken to the Core
    (last time, the military refused to fight bin Laden; that was then)
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000074617sep16.column

    Dick Cheney on Meet the Press
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/629714.asp?0dm=C224V

    Official Statements on Terrorist Attack
    http://www.state.gov/s/ct/index.cfm?id=4274

    Worldwide Caution for US Travelers Abroad (Wednesday)
    http://travel.state.gov/wwc1.html

    Bush Finalises Battle Plan
    http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/09/16/wusa16.xml

    SAS to Join American Special Forces
    http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/09/16/wusa116.xml

    Attack "Could Come This Weekend"
    http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/09/15/watt15.xml

    War Plan: The West's Military Options
    http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/09/16/stiusausa01012.html?999

    How to Strike at the World's Most Inaccessible Land
    http://www.observer.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,552747,00.html

    US Has Forces in Place to Strike Afghanistan
    http://www.timesofindia.com/articleshow.asp?art_ID=533683054

    "America has ploughed billions of dollars into building an awesome arsenal"
    http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/4321512

    What the US's Allies Say
    (country-by-country lineup)
    http://www.timesofindia.com/articleshow.asp?art_ID=1577194015

    Is China Going to Be Embroiled in Global Crusade Against "Rogues"?
    http://english.pravda.ru/main/2001/09/15/15278.html

    Chinese Spokesperson on the Reported Relations Between China and Taliban
    http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/eng/17986.html

    Afghans Flee Kabul But Taliban Defiant
    http://www.khaleejtimes.com/usattack.htm#story13

    Supporters of Osama Leave Kabul
    http://www.dawn.com/2001/09/16/top11.htm

    Taliban Urge Afghans to Stay and Wage Holy War
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/afghan.asp?id=5&date1=9/16/2001

    Spare the People: Afghan Opposition Tells US
    http://www.timesofindia.com/articleshow.asp?art_ID=1400564993

    Tussle on for Masood's Successor
    http://www.thefridaytimes.com/news3a.htm

    Weary Afghans Expect US Strikes, Seek Refuge
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/afghan.asp?id=2&date1=9/16/2001

    Pakistan's Dilemma
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/editorials.asp?id=1&date1=9/16/2001

    Former Pakistani General Warns of Threat to Nuclear Installations
    http://www.dawn.com/2001/09/16/top5.htm

    US Prepping for Possible Germ Warfare
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/abc/20010905/hl/germwarfare010904_1.html

    great article from the first issue Wired on the military's post-Gulf worldview
    (but is the world now totally different; in particular, can it be simulated?)
    http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1.01/virthell.html

    civil liberties and security

    Spy Chiefs Call for New Rules and Money to Stop Terrorists
    http://www.observer.co.uk/focus/story/0,6903,552770,00.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/16/international/16INTE.html

    history of American suppression of civil liberties in times of crisis
    (and the need for rules to be fair and not target an unpopular group)
    http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/watc/20010915.watc.12.ram

    another "trade-off between security and civil liberties" story
    (rather good analysis, but still unnecessarily buys the "tradeoff" story)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/16/weekinreview/16GREE.html?pagewanted=all

    Please Make Stable Non-US Homes for Strong Crypto Projects
    cryptographyat_private/msg00659.html">http://www.mail-archive.com/cryptographyat_private/msg00659.html

    "we are a nation that is unwilling to pay the price of public safety"
    (it was the mindless opposition to government that let the killers in)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/16/opinion/16KRUG.html

    At the Airports: Risks to Security Detected, Debated for Many Years
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38092-2001Sep15.html

    At the Pentagon: Response Hampered by Confusion, Lack of Preparedness
    (fascinating study in how procedures are adapted to old imagined scenarios)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37991-2001Sep15.html

    Retrofitting the Pentagon for Blast Resistance (July 2001)
    http://dwp.bigplanet.com/engineers/nss-folder/download/pentagon.pdf

    In Athena's Camp: Preparing for Conflict in the Information Age (1997)
    http://www.rand.org/publications/MR/MR880/

    Critical Foundations: Protecting America's Infrastructures (1997)
    http://www.si.umich.edu/~pne/PDF/PCCIP/pccip.intro.pdf
    http://www.si.umich.edu/~pne/PDF/PCCIP/pccip.part1.pdf
    http://www.si.umich.edu/~pne/PDF/PCCIP/pccip.part2.pdf
    http://www.si.umich.edu/~pne/PDF/PCCIP/pccip.appa.pdf
    http://www.si.umich.edu/~pne/PDF/PCCIP/pccip.appb.pdf

    Osama bin Laden

    "one man sold out Osama bin Laden, and now reveals his chilling insights"
    http://www.canoe.ca/TimeCanada0102/19_time26.html

    article about Osama bin Laden from a Pakistani paper
    http://www.dawn.com/weekly/cowas/cowas.htm

    history of Osama Bin Laden's relations with the United States
    http://globalresearch.ca/articles/CHO109C.html

    speech by Taliban ambassador (May 2001)
    http://www.glo.org/article.php?sid=636

    investigation

    FBI to Question "Terror Chief" Arrested at Heathrow
    http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/09/16/whunt16.xml

    Officials Mum on Sarpy (Nebraska) Detention of Saudi
    http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u_div=3&u_hdg=0&u_sid=198524

    12 Arrested for False Badges at Miami Airport
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38127-2001Sep15.html

    Anonymity Easy in Florida
    ("the wacko factor is so high, you've got to screw up big-time to be noticed")
    http://www.miami.com/herald/content/opinion/columnists/hiaasen/digdocs/105737.htm

    article about the firefighters digging out the wreckage in New York
    http://www.observer.co.uk/focus/story/0,6903,552784,00.html

    detailed reconstruction of the hijackings
    http://www.observer.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,552749,00.html

    Intelligence Memo Points to Mossad Link
    (poor countries can't afford high-priced propagandists, get what they pay for)
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/main.asp?id=8&date1=9/16/2001

    Moscow Blast Date Coincides With US Tragedy
    (amazing how many plausible theories there are about the choice of Sept. 11th)
    http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2001/09/14/011.html

    Masterminds of Attacks on US Same as Those of Russian Blasts 2 Years Ago
    http://english.pravda.ru/main/2001/09/15/15284.html

    interactive map of the area around the World Trade Center
    http://www.the-infinite.org/misc/nys14_2pm_reuters.swf

    extensive directory of newspaper and Web site graphics about the attack
    http://www.nixlog.com/infographics/

    seismic data for September 11th
    (subtract five hours from GMT to get New York time)
    http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/cgi-bin/LCSN/WebSeis/24hr_heli.pl?id=&year=2001&jday=254

    this site debunks the Nostradamus email hoax
    http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/weekly/aa091101b.htm

    other responses

    Falwell's Finger-Pointing Inappropriate, Bush Says
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/15/national/15FALW.html

    damage to people's cars from tow trucks at Logan airport
    http://www.globe.com/dailyglobe2/257/metro/Tow_trucks_do_their_own_damage+.shtml

    Expert Says Hold, Not Buy, Shares Tomorrow
    (main danger with reopening securities markets is volume rather than a crash)
    http://web.siliconvalley.com/content/sv/2001/09/16/opinion/dgillmor/weblog/

    tolerance

    Indian Sikh Shot Dead in US in Apparent Backlash to Terror Attacks
    http://www.khaleejtimes.com/usattack.htm#story11
    http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/breaking/0916shooting16.html

    news

    harsh comment on US media coverage in a leading conservative German newspaper
    http://www.faz.de/IN/INtemplates/faznet/default.asp?tpl=faz/content.asp&doc={CF860253-DF78-4A53-A9F4-1C7FA0B8DFC3}#

    Palestinian Solidarity with the American People in Pictures
    http://www.infopal.org/docs/spics.htm

    CNN's denial that its video of Palestinians celebrating the bombing was old
    http://www.poynter.org/medianews/letters.htm#jordan

    comment from a relatively liberal magazine in Pakistan

    Counter-Terrorism: Prevention or Cure
    ("counter-terrorism measures alone cannot hope to address the issue")
    http://www.thefridaytimes.com/ejaz.htm

    The Taliban Will Never Surrender
    ("Washington is anti-Taliban because the Taliban refuse to do its bidding")
    http://www.thefridaytimes.com/news6a.htm

    Taliban Judge Takes Hard Line on SNI Prisoners
    ("UN sanctions will continue to drive the Taliban to greater militancy")
    http://www.thefridaytimes.com/news2.htm

    end