[RRE]attack

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 23:14:14 PDT

    Here are some more URL's.  Thanks to everyone who contributed.

    RRE home page: <http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/rre.html>

    Driving past the row of Arab shops in my neighborhood this evening,
    I saw a half-dozen police cars and ambulances surrounding an Arab
    grocery with lights flashing and everyone standing around looking
    grim.  This bummed me out.  Am I going to be reading about it in the
    paper tomorrow?  I wanted to stop and do something, but what could I
    do?  I guess I'll stop by there this week and spend a bunch of money.

    Can I ask people to send me URL's for background and current articles
    about "security measures"?  It sounds like we're going to have a lot
    more of these "security measures", whatever they are, and I'd like to
    see some public discussion of them beforehand.  Topics might include
    the practices of countries that have been dealing with terrorists for
    long periods, civil rights issues in those countries, companies that
    offer security services, security issues affecting particular systems
    like electrical distribution, security technologies, methods for the
    rational design of security measures, and so forth.  As a start, I've
    included a section tonight on national ID cards.  Thanks very much.

    I want to emphasize again that you shouldn't believe everything you
    read in these Web pages.  I'm including publications of every sort,
    including tabloids, newspapers from remote corners of the world,
    ideological think tanks, random Web sites, and the mouthpieces of
    global media magnates.  War means secrecy, secrecy means a vacuum
    of information, and vacuums suck in whatever randomness they can
    get ahold of.

    war

    US Employing Calm, Multifaceted Response
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A13984-2001Sep23.html

    Eerie Quiet as "Screaming Eagles" Await Battle Orders
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/24/national/24EAGL.html?pagewanted=print

    Elite Military Forces to Get a Major Test
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000076327sep23.story

    SAS "in Taliban Gun Battle"
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/waronterror/story/0,1361,556775,00.html

    Bush Waging a Bitter War of Words
    ("dehumanize Bin Laden to prepare Americans for war, but it carries risks")
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000076118sep23.story

    Islamic Fighters Head to Afghanistan for Jihad
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A13729-2001Sep23.html

    America Aims to Topple Taleban
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,2001330005-2001331397,00.html

    US Debates Whether to Overthrow Taliban
    (and replace them with what?)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A13819-2001Sep23.html

    Overthrow of Taliban?
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/editorials.asp?id=1&date1=9/23/2001

    Northern Alliance Looks Hopefully Towards Kabul
    (but it's doubtful that they are a viable government for the whole country)
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/afghan.asp?id=7&date1=9/23/2001

    Groups Could Help Find Bin Laden and Assist American Attacks
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/24/international/24MILI.html

    Anti-Taliban Rebels Eager to Join US Retaliation
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14095-2001Sep23.html

    Likely Future Scenario in Afghanistan
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/main.asp?id=6&date1=9/23/2001

    Afghanistan Is Like Nothing You've Ever Seen, Soviet Vets Say
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000075191sep19.story

    US Accused of Sabotaging Deal to Avert War: Taliban
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/afghan.asp?id=6&date1=9/23/2001

    Bush Seeks Wider Foreign-Aid Power
    ("waiver could entitle past terrorism sponsors to military assistance")
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14035-2001Sep23.html

    Former Afghan King Calls for Transitional Afghan Government
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/afghan.asp?id=2&date1=9/23/2001

    photos of Afghan refugees
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/0109/19/world/snapshot1.html

    Islamic Nations Isolate Taliban
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000076317sep23.story

    Terrorism and the Laws of War: September 11 and Its Aftermath
    http://www.crimesofwar.org/

    investigation

    Crackdown on British al-Qaeda Cell
    http://www.observer.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,556680,00.html

    Egyptian Doctor Believed to Be Bin Laden's No. 2
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/24/international/24AIDE.html?pagewanted=print

    Bin Laden's Middle Class Killers
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/middle_east/newsid_1557000/1557828.stm

    Crop-Dusters Thought to Interest Suspects
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14087-2001Sep23.html
    http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,175951,00.html

    FBI Imposes New Restrictions on Crop Dusters
    http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/09/23/inv.crop.dusters/
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/24/national/24AP-CROP.html

    How Ten Hijackers Hid in Plain Sight
    http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/266/nation/How_10_hijackers_hid_in_plain_sight+.shtml

    Investigation Has San Diego on Edge
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14246-2001Sep23.html

    New Jersey Towns Become Focus of FBI Probe
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A13944-2001Sep23.html

    An Inside Job?
    http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,175953,00.html

    Box Cutters Found on Other September 11 Flights
    http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/09/23/inv.investigation.terrorism/

    US to Release Evidence Linking bin Laden to Attacks
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/23/international/23WIRE-DIPL.html

    Officials Say US Embassy in Paris Target for Attack
    ("raid is part of a global crackdown")
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000076322sep23.story

    FBI Agents Ill-Equipped to Predict Terror Acts
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14081-2001Sep23.html

    civil liberties and security

    editorial criticizing Ashcroft's laundry-list assault on civil liberties
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/23/opinion/23SUN1.html

    Ashcroft Confers on Anti-Terror Laws (from Wednesday)
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/630118.asp

    Analysis of the Proposed Anti-Terrorism Act of 2001
    http://www.epic.org/privacy/terrorism/ata_analysis.html

    Facial Recognition System Considered for US Airports
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14273-2001Sep23.html

    article about EFF's criticism of new wiretap legislation
    http://www.eet.com/story/OEG20010919S0067

    Alert: Surveillance Legislation Continues to Threaten Privacy
    http://www.eff.org/alerts/20010921_eff_wiretap_alert.html

    Changes Called Likely in Policy on Immigration
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/24/national/24IMMI.html

    Tightening Immigration Raises Civil Liberties Flag
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000076329sep23.story

    War on Terrorism Stirs Memory of Internment
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/24/national/24LEGA.html

    Phil Zimmerman's clarification of the Washington Post article about him
    http://www.inet-one.com.my/cypherpunks/dir.2001.09.17-2001.09.23/msg00510.html

    Domestic Response to Terrorism Involving Weapons of Mass Destruction
    (including a fairly strong if not very specific commitment to civil liberties)
    http://www.senate.gov/~gov_affairs/092101gillmore.htm

    McCarthyism Can Rise Again
    http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0138/hentoff.php

    Intelligence Called Key to Anti-Terror Campaign
    http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20010921S0106

    Let Military Panels Punish Terrorists
    (actual lawyers arguing against a fair trial for those accused of terrorism)
    http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-000076247sep23.story

    Suddenly, the Background-Check Business Is Booming
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000076336sep23.story

    Democratic Leaders Say They Back a Government Takeover of Security
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/24/national/24SECU.html

    How Did US Airport Security Break Down?
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-092301airsec.story

    Passengers Say Banned Items Have Eluded Airport Monitors
    http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/266/nation/Passengers_say_banned_items_have_eluded_airport_monitors+.shtml

    Barriers Rising to National Airport's Return (bummer)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14034-2001Sep23.html

    Experts Say "Office of Homeland Security" Looks Good on Paper, but...
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0109220176sep22.story

    proposals for national ID cards

    Draconian Curbs May Include ID Cards  (very bad)
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/waronterror/story/0,1361,557091,00.html
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,2-2001331435,00.html

    Blair to Rush Through New Laws Against Terrorists
    http://www.portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/09/23/nblur23.xml

    Oracle Boss Urges National ID Cards, Offers Free Software
    http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/svfront/ellsn092301.htm

    National Identification Cards
    (background, arguments, facts, quotes)
    http://www.aclu.org/library/aaidcard.html

    National ID Cards Archive
    (with links to legislation and reports relating to ID cards in the US)
    http://www.epic.org/privacy/id_cards/

    Privacy International: National ID Cards
    (with links to articles from earlier ID card controversies, esp. in Australia)
    http://www.privacy.org/pi/activities/idcard/
    http://www.privacy.org/pi/activities/idcard/idcard_faq.html

    A National ID System: Big Brother's Solution to Illegal Immigration
    http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa237es.html

    Against Identity Cards
    http://freespace.virgin.net/old.whig/idcards.htm

    Human Identification in Information Systems
    http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/DV/HumanID

    conservative groups opposed to national ID cards
    http://www.free-market.net/features/spotlight/9811.html

    comment

    Emotions Are High Enough Already
    http://www.newsday.com/news/columnists/ny-bres23.column

    "indiscriminate bombing of Afghanistan would play into bin Laden's hands"
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/sunopinion/la-000076229sep23.story

    Ten Alternative Responses to Terrorism
    http://people.ku.edu/~schrodt/alternatives.html

    Expert: US Must Address Root of Hate
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0109220184sep22.story

    Scholars: Bin Laden Goes Against Islam
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010921/us/attacks_islamic_teaching_1.html

    time for Republicans to sign those treaties against chemical etc weapons
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/24/opinion/24WRIG.html

    review of "In the Name of Identity: Violence and the Need to Belong"
    http://www.calendarlive.com/top/1,1419,L-LATimes-Books-X!ArticleDetail-43883,00.html

    About Dividing the World Into Two Camps: A New Vietnam Looming Ahead
    http://64.124.221.202/algomhuria2/gazette/1/3.htm

    report from the Pakistan Labour Party on the position of the fundamentalists
    http://www.cpgb.org.uk/worker/400/fundamentalists.html

    Whatever You Think About Afghanistan Is Probably Wrong
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7907-2001Sep22.html

    US Foreign Policy, Brought Back Home
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7910-2001Sep22.html

    Big and Small About US
    (how they see us)
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/editorials.asp?id=3&date1=9/23/2001

    The Furies of Foreign Lands
    http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/010914/misc/14fouad.htm

    In the Cruel Mountains
    http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/011001/opinion/1foaud.htm

    editorials on the war from southwest and southeast Asia
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10757-2001Sep22.html

    US Must Woo Pashtuns Deftly
    http://www.csmonitor.com/2001/0924/p6s1-wosc.html

    extensive comment on the fall-out from Egypt
    http://www.ahram.org.eg/weekly/2001/552/fall-out.htm

    "Cairo is urging caution and restraint to a hotheaded Washington"
    http://www.ahram.org.eg/weekly/2001/552/p2fall2.htm

    The Search for Vengeance
    http://www.ahram.org.eg/weekly/2001/552/p2fall1.htm

    When Narratives Collide
    http://www.ahram.org.eg/weekly/2001/552/p12fall2.htm

    astonishing column urging Bush to arrest Clinton for bombing Serbia
    (denying "ethnic cleansing" was real and claiming Clinton supported bin Laden)
    http://www.reagan.com/HotTopics.main/document-9.21.2001.4.html

    background

    article about a jihad school in Pakistan (January 2001)
    http://www.thebulletin.org/issues/2001/jf01/jf01stern.html

    Anger in the Bazaars of Peshawar
    ("if there is civil war in Pakistan, it will start here")
    http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2001/09/22/peshawar/

    The Roots of Resentment
    ("a growing reaction against American foreign policy")
    http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/sep2001/nf20010920_6381.htm

    Site of the Afghani Resistance
    http://www.afgha.com/
    http://www.afgha.com/index.php

    Face to Face With the Taliban
    (by the assistant secretary of State for South Asian Affairs under Clinton)
    http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-000076233sep23.story

    inside a Pakistani jihad camp (February 2001)
    http://www.time.com/time/asia/magazine/2001/0205/kashmir_sb1.html

    Militant Islam, Oil and Fundamentalism in Central Asia (April 2000)
    http://www.salon.com/books/review/2000/04/06/rashid/
    http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/interviews/ba2000-08-09.htm

    article on the tribal areas straddling the Pakistan-Afghanistan border
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/editorials.asp?id=6&date1=9/23/2001

    useful map of Pakistan showing relation to Afghanistan
    http://www.columbia.edu/cu/ops/html/pakistan_map.html

    map showing where the Kyber Pass is
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/mapshells/indian_subcontinent/pakistan/pakistan.htm

    Khyber Pass photos
    http://www.netnz.co.nz/pakistan/khyber.htm

    Does US Intervention Overseas Breed Terrorism? (December 1998)
    http://www.cato.org/pubs/fpbriefs/fpb-050es.html

    the current relevance of Auden's poem about Hitler's invasion of Poland
    http://slate.msn.com/culturebox/entries/01-09-20_115900.asp

    Islamic Finance: The Prophet and the Profits
    http://www.en.monde-diplomatique.fr/2001/09/09islamicbanking

    excerpts from a Russian journalist's book about the Soviet war in Afghanistan
    http://www.salon.com/books/review/2001/09/24/soviet/

    Misery Hangs Over Afghanistan After Years of War and Drought
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/24/international/24REFU.html?pagewanted=print

    Clinton Sent Hit Squad for Bin Laden
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,2001330005-2001331136,00.html

    Tennessee Narrowly Dodged Bullet in Tense '72 Hijack Episode
    ("three men threatened to crash a passenger jet into a nuclear reactor")
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000076124sep23.story

    Crisis Puts New Focus on "Stans" of Central Asia
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000076332sep23.story

    Medical Management of Biological Casualties Handbook
    http://www.nbc-med.org/SiteContent/HomePage/WhatsNew/MedManual/Feb01/handbook.htm

    news and the experts

    The Pentagon and the Press, Again
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7148-2001Sep21.html

    Journalists Worry About Limits on Information, Access
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A13786-2001Sep23.html

    Networks Move to Revive Foreign News
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/24/business/media/24TUBE.html

    TV Networks Prepare for War on Many Fronts
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000076345sep23.story

    Terror Experts Use Lenses of Their Specialties
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/24/business/media/24SOU.html?pagewanted=print

    Academics Sift Through Disasters, Searching for Lessons
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000076337sep23.story

    more Afghanistan and Pakistan news sources
    http://www.abyznewslinks.com/afgha.htm
    http://www.abyznewslinks.com/pakis.htm

    Afghanistan Online
    http://www.afghan-web.com/

    response

    New York Subway at Risk of Major Flood

    From 5,000 Feet Up, Mapping Terrain for Ground Zero Workers
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/23/nyregion/23TOPO.html

    At the Scene of Random Devastation, a Most Orderly Mission
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/24/nyregion/24SITE.html

    Towers' Basement Holds an Engineering Nightmare
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000076323sep23.story

    graphic showing damage to all the buildings around the World Trade Center
    http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/trade.center/damage.map.html

    In New Jersey Town, Everyone is Grieving
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14072-2001Sep23.html

    Life for the Survivors after September 11th
    http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/266/nation/Life_after_Sept_11+.shtml

    photos from Union Square in New York
    http://www.fmurphy.addr.com/sept_01/union_sq.html

    Travelers Warm Up to Videoconferencing
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/24/technology/24MEET.html?pagewanted=print

    Wall Street Ends Worst Week in 68 Years
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A6694-2001Sep21.html

    "New Economy" Is a Thing of the Past
    (except that it was never a thing of the present)
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000076318sep23.story

    Practice Advice for Students
    (Buddhist responses to the attack)
    http://www.nalandabodhi.org/dpr-9-11.html