[RRE]attack

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 23:01:15 PDT

    Here are some more URL's.  Thanks to everyone who contributed.

    RRE home page: <http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/rre.html>

    This is the last of these encyclopedic collections of URL's about the
    attack and war that I am going to put together.  It's too much work.
    Besides, I feel like the fever broke today.  The war talk has suddenly
    calmed down, having finally confronted the reality that there's no
    single place to drop a bomb.  The whole world has now shifted into
    some weird new configuration, and we're going forward from there.

    I'd rather have the old world, obviously, but this new world has some
    real advantages.  I am struck that American culture, amidst all of
    the bad feelings that anyone would have, is more thoughtful and less
    absorbed with trivia than it was last month.  Maybe the rageaholics
    will even lose their grip on our political system.  We'll have to see.

    We're going to have civil liberties controversies in this new world,
    that's for sure, and I'll certainly be covering those.  And please
    do keep sending URL's that represent, say, the top 5% most important
    URL's reporting information that people aren't going to come across
    by reading the major papers.  I hope that everyone has been introduced
    to some new information sources by these reader-contributed URL's; I
    know I have.

    If anybody wants to take over the job of collating URL's related to the
    war, let me know.  I'm not sure how that would work, exactly.  Maybe
    I would simply announce your address to the whole list and ask people
    to send the stuff to you.  Then you can filter and arrange them however
    you want.

    In any case, thanks to everyone who has contributed.  Remember that
    all of the attack-related URL's that I have sent out are available on
    this page here:

      http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/sofar.html

    This particular page is pretty crude; if I can remember the URL for
    the much nicer page that a reader prepared then I will send that out
    as well.

    I realize that during the election controversy I kept promising that I
    would let it go, but then never did.  This time, though, I hope I mean
    it.  We're up to about 150 URL's a day, every one of which I check out
    myself, and it really has gotten to be a lot of work, about ten times
    the effort that I normally invest in running the list.  I hope it has
    been useful.  I have this theory that you are a bad person unless you
    believe that there are lots of people out there doing good things that
    you will never know about, and gathering up these resources is my way
    of acting on that theory.  Maybe someday we'll hear the stories of the
    good things that people did with them.

    We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

    war

    Issue Now: Does the US Have a Plan?
    ("we could do a lot more harm than good" -- duh)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/27/international/27ASSE.html

    Bush Backs Away From All-Out War
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/0109/27/world/world1.html

    Military Strike Not Imminent, Officials Say
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32178-2001Sep26.html

    Strikes Seem Later Rather Than Sooner
    http://www.indian-express.com/ie20010927/top1.html

    US Says Military Strikes Are Just a Part of Big Plan
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/27/international/europe/27NATO.html?pagewanted=print

    Massive Buildup Gives US Political, Military Options
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000077148sep26.story

    Foreign Policy's "Pivotal Moment"
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32163-2001Sep26.html

    Softly, Softly Powell Calls All the Shots
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/0109/27/world/world2.html

    Support for Using Force May Have Limits
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000077160sep26.story

    With Targets Few and Elusive, the War Is Fodder for Diplomats
    http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-000077095sep26.story

    Talks on Military Action at Early Stage: Pakistan
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/afghan.asp?id=1&date1=9/26/2001

    Sentiment in Pakistani Town Is Ardently Pro-Taliban
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/27/international/asia/27FRON.html?pagewanted=print

    US Has a Long Way to Go to Bring Around Egyptians
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/26/international/middleeast/26EGYP.html?pagewanted=print

    US Faces Atmosphere of Mistrust
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32169-2001Sep26.html

    US Allies Are Killers and Drug Dealers
    (it's a one-time thing; it just happens a lot)
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/0109/27/world/world11.html

    Taliban Foreign Minister Recalls US Support for Afghan Jihad
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/afghan.asp?id=2&date1=9/26/2001

    Tribesmen to Back Taliban
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/afghan.asp?id=4&date1=9/26/2001

    Russian Memo Lists Bin Laden Camps in Afghanistan
    http://news.findlaw.com/news/s/20010926/attackafghanbinladenstrengthdc.html

    many links on the technical and military aspects of the attacks and war
    http://www.netsurf.com/nss/nss.04.10.html

    EU Seeks Muslim Allies Against Terrorism
    http://www.euractiv.com/cgi-bin/eurb/cgint.exe/127212-960?1100=1&204&OIDN=1502283&-home=home

    Attacks Are Labeled a Crime Against Humanity
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000077156sep26.story

    Pakistan Warns US Against Helping Afghan Rebels
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000077165sep26.story

    Tribal Hatred Drives Refugees Into Desert
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,2001330019-2001334165,00.html

    Afghans Push to Be Admitted Into Pakistan
    ("we're losing contact with entire cities")
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000077127sep26.story

    investigation

    Terror Arrests Across Europe
    http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/europe/09/26/inv.europe.arrests/

    German Officials Link Hijackers to Terror Network
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32160-2001Sep26.html

    Scotland Yard Says Hijackers May Have Trained in Britain
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32194-2001Sep26.html

    Raids Crush Terrorist Cells and Foil Plot to Kill Bush
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,2001330019-2001334102,00.html

    More Suspects Are Detained in Search for Attack Answers
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/26/national/26SUSP.html

    Three Men Held in San Diego as Material Witnesses
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000077132sep26.story

    Al Qaeda May Have Crude Chemical, Germ Capabilities
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32100-2001Sep26.html

    Traffic Snarled by Police Searches for Hazardous Material
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32110-2001Sep26.html

    Bush Pursues Charities in Terror Money Chase
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/0109/27/world/world6.html

    Bank Account the Vital Link to Bin Laden
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/0109/27/world/world4.html

    Age-Old Way of Moving Cash Leaves Little Trail
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000077116sep26.story

    US Could Use Cybertactics to Seize Bin Laden's Assets
    http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/story/0,1199,NAV47_STO64072,00.html

    Strategies to Combat Money Laundering
    (lots of details)
    http://usinfo.state.gov/cgi-bin/washfile/display.pl?p=/products/washfile/latest&f=01092601.clt&t=/products/washfile/newsitem.shtml

    California Forms Anti-Terrorism Information-Sharing Center
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-000077069sep26.story

    Terrorist Groups Already Here, Academic Warns
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/0109/27/world/world8.html

    civil liberties and security

    Surveillance Major Sticking Point in Anti-Terrorism Legislation
    http://www.law.com/cgi-bin/nwlink.cgi?ACG=ZZZ884E82SC

    Ashcroft Relenting on Terrorism Bill
    (but his proposals are still completely over the top)
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000077157sep26.story

    Rights Caught in Dragnet
    ("hundreds detained by the US since Sept. 11th do not have legal protections")
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000077118sep26.story

    Lawmaker: More Encryption Needed
    http://www.zdnet.com/filters/printerfriendly/0,6061,5097301-2,00.html

    Immigrant ID Card on the Fast Track
    http://www.canada.com/ottawa/story.asp?id={471E6D82-1725-4349-85CF-D16F44AFA12E}

    Blunkett Qualifies Likely Role of ID Cards
    ("citizen's entitlement card")
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,558685,00.html

    Florida takes driver's license data offline in response to investigations
    http://sptimes.com/News/092001/State/Driver_records_put_on.shtml

    smallpox as a bioterrorist threat
    (includes grisly pictures)
    http://www.lsic.ucla.edu/classes/mimg/summer1_01/micro12/Website/PrestonNY/smallpoxPestonNY.htm

    The Specter of Biological Terror
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/26/opinion/26WED2.html?pagewanted=print

    Amid Fears, Anthrax Antibiotic Selling Fast
    http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/269/business/Amid_fears_antibiotic_selling_fastP.shtml

    Airport Guard Tries to Check Officer's ID, Gets Arrested
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W55A32F0
    http://www.globeandmail.com/generated/hubs/20010926/commentLetters.html

    Airport Ground Crews Escaping Tightened Security, Critics Say
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32158-2001Sep26.html

    Cockpit Security Plans Questioned
    http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20010926S0049

    FAA Finds Logan Security Among Worst in US
    http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/269/nation/FAA_finds_Logan_security_among_worst_in_USP.shtml

    LAX Plan to Shift Focus to Security Issues
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-000077048sep26.story

    Legislative Leaders Reluctant to Arm Pilots
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000077163sep26.story

    Call to Ease LAX Security Is Rejected
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000077164sep26.story

    Terrorists' Use of Hazardous Materials Seen
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000077121sep26.story

    business response to the attack, e.g., at a hazmat shipping company
    http://www.sptimes.com/News/092401/Business/Doing_business_in_unc.shtml

    Forging a Third Way to Fight
    (crossing law enforcement and war)
    http://www.law.com/cgi-bin/nwlink.cgi?ACG=ZZZO05N42SC

    Cyber Attacks During the War on Terrorism: A Predictive Analysis
    http://www.ists.dartmouth.edu/ISTS/counterterrorism/cyber_attacks.htm

    Key US Computer Systems Called Vulnerable to Attack
    (again)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32105-2001Sep26.html

    Obscure Team Scans Systems to See Where Enemy May Hit
    http://lists.jammed.com/politech/2001/06/0033.html

    wartime security caution at online sites for military families
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/27/technology/circuits/27MILI.html

    Added Security for Dams, Reservoirs and Aqueducts
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/26/national/26WATE.html?pagewanted=print
    http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/269/metro/Vigilance_grows_over_waterP.shtml

    Nuclear Reactors Vulnerable to Attack
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,2001330019-2001334212,00.html

    Life on the Home Front
    http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101011001/

    video surveillance

    Many Britons Smile on Spread of Candid Cameras
    (British culture, unfortunately, has a long tradition of deference)
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2001/09/26/cameras.htm

    The Effect of Closed Circuit Television on Recorded Crime Rates (1999)
    (i.e., not much)
    http://www.scotcrim.u-net.com/researchc2.htm

    ACLU Calls on Law Enforcement to Support Privacy for Video Surveillance (1999)
    http://www.aclu.org/news/1999/n040899b.html

    Int'l Trade in Surveillance Technology, Links to the Arms Industry (1995)
    http://www.privacy.org/pi/reports/big_bro/

    ACLU comment on proposal for public video surveillance (May 1997)
    http://www.aclunc.org/police/oak-video.html
    http://www.aclunc.org/aclunews/news499/oakland-cams.html

    Face Recognition Technology and Video Surveillance (July 2001)
    http://www.chipcenter.com/columns/COL_20010718.html?PRINT=true

    Privacy International resources on video surveillance
    http://www.privacyinternational.org/issues/cctv/

    comment from Pakistan

    America's War, and India's Role
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/articles.asp?id=3&date1=9/26/2001

    The Real Culprits of Disaster
    (conspiracy theory: Mossad did it)
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/articles.asp?id=6&date1=9/26/2001

    No Role for India
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/articles.asp?id=1&date1=9/26/2001

    America's War Against Terrorism
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/articles.asp?id=7&date1=9/26/2001

    Post-Taliban Afghanistan
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/editorials.asp?id=1&date1=9/26/2001

    doubts on the reality of a recent "message" from Osama bin Laden
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/editorials.asp?id=2&date1=9/26/2001

    other comment

    Why a Strike Against Afghanistan Would Actually Help Bin Laden
    http://writ.news.findlaw.com/commentary/20010926_murphy.html

    Righteous Terrorism, American-Style
    (does the "war" include our own terrorists?)
    http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-000077094sep26.column

    This Time, Fighting Should Not Be Left to Just a Few
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/comment/columnists/wickham/2001-09-24-wickham.htm

    argument that the CIA didn't create bin Laden
    http://www.thenewrepublic.com/100801/trb100801.html

    Eagle and the Tiger Hunt Together, for the Moment
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/0109/27/opinion/opinion3.html

    liberal comment
    http://www.epn.org/

    After the Attacks: America's Changed Political and Legislative Landscape
    http://www.opensecrets.org/alerts/v6/postterrorism.asp

    when Clinton was at war with bin Laden, Republicans were at war with Clinton
    http://www.ardemgaz.com/today/edi/woplyons26.asp

    Todd Gitlin looks at the ruins and watches the US search for words
    http://www.opendemocracy.net/forum/document_details.asp?CatID=95&DocID=680&DebateID=152

    This Umbrage Over Presumed US Rejection Doesn't Behove Us
    http://www.indian-express.com/ie20010927/ed1.html

    argument against revenge from India
    http://www.opendemocracy.net/forum/document_details.asp?CatID=95&DocID=664

    comment from the rebels in Chechnya
    http://www.kavkaz.org/english/analysis.htm

    Depth of Hatred at US Hard to Fathom
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/0109/27/opinion/opinion1.html

    "Why Do They Hate Us?"
    http://www.csmonitor.com/2001/0927/p1s1-wogi.html

    pro-and-con columns on the war from Richard Perle and Howard Zinn
    http://chronicle.com/free/v48/i05/05b00902.htm
    http://chronicle.com/free/v48/i05/05b00801.htm

    Happy New Year: It's 1984
    (i.e., permanent war)

    the holy war against pacificism rages in complete freedom from facts
    http://www.dailyhowler.com/h092601_1.shtml
    http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,47099,00.html

    Berlusconi: The West Must Conquer Islam
    (yammerheads in the US also rant about "the superiority of our civilization")
    http://www.salon.com/politics/wire/2001/09/26/berlusconi/

    Will Anyone Dare to Ask Why?
    (the Nazi perspective)
    http://www.duke.org/writings/09-17-01.shtml

    humor returns with several rather funny jokes from The Onion
    http://www.theonion.com/

    tolerance

    Vint Cerf warns against hate-motivated hacking
    http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,47099,00.html

    White House Taps Ohio Scholar's Writings on Radical Islam
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A25521-2001Sep25.html

    No "Us" or "Them": An Iranian-American Tries to Explain
    http://www.iranian.com/ZaraHoushmand/2001/September/Explain/

    Dossier Lists 100 Hate Attacks on Muslim Targets
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,2001330019-2001334204,00.html

    Urged by Their Fearful Parents, Some Arab Students Head Home
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/27/national/27COLL.html

    The Other War, Against Intolerance
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/26/national/26LESS.html?pagewanted=print

    Offer Muslims Hand of Friendship, Prescott Says
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,2001330019-2001334205,00.html

    Expressions of Support Surprising to Muslims
    (decent Americans are ashamed at the outbursts of the hate wackos)
    http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-000077046sep26.story

    news

    they keep spinning, no matter what
    ("Americans ... need to watch what they say, watch what they do")
    http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2001/09/27/spin/

    White House Drops Claim of Threat to Bush
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32319-2001Sep26.html

    War Means Never Having to Tell the Truth: The Return of Censorship
    http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0139/cotts.php

    A Culture of Secrecy Only Feeds Our Fear of the Unknown
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,2001330019-2001334224,00.html

    VOA Airs Report Over Objection of State Department
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31659-2001Sep26.html

    An Early Casualty of War Is Constructive Debate
    http://www.nashscene.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?story=This_Week:Politics:Advise_and_Dissent

    A Web Site With the Inside Dope on the Middle East
    (it's debka.com, which I haven't mentioned because its design is so awful)
    http://www.nyobserver.com/pages/offtherec.asp

    Media Ballot Review Delayed
    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-Media-Ballot-Review.html

    Russian Media Digest
    http://www.therussianissues.com/

    Film, Videos, and DVD's from the Arab World and Middle East
    http://www.arabfilm.com/

    Saudi Arabia's First English Language Daily
    http://www.arabnews.com/

    background

    The IRA's Rich Friends in New York
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_1563000/1563119.stm

    Meeting with the Mujahideen
    http://www.bullatomsci.org/issues/2001/jf01/jf01stern.html

    MP3's from the Soldiers of Allah
    http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/42/soldiers_of_allah.html

    A Few Trusted Men Lead Bin Laden's Sprawling Network
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32149-2001Sep26.html

    Portrait of the Terrorist as a Young Man
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4263738,00.html

    Bin Laden Recruits With Graphic Video
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32438-2001Sep26.html

    Hate-Filled Words Behind a POW's Gentle Voice
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000077117sep26.story

    history of the US war against terrorism
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/632825.asp?0nw=n1d

    "Teach-In" on Terrorism Is an Echo of the '60s
    (I heard it on the radio: it wasn't any kind of sixties stereotype)
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-000077049sep26.story
    http://www.kcrw.org/cgi-bin/db/kcrw.pl?show_code=ww&air_date=9/24/01&tmplt_type=show

    Orwell's unpublished preface to Animal Farm
    (it has an unnerving way of being relevant in every situation)
    http://home.iprimus.com.au/korob/Orwell.html

    response

    Measuring a Building's Fate With the Pulse of a Laser
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/27/technology/circuits/27VIBE.html

    Agile in a Crisis, Robots Show Their Mettle
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/27/technology/circuits/27ROBO.html

    Most Victims Male; Many Were Parents
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2001/09/27/tower-numbers.htm

    Science's Search for Answers
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32203-2001Sep26.html

    Rites of Grief, Without a Body to Cry Over
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/27/nyregion/27MEMO.html

    New Yorkers Can't Shake Fears
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000077125sep26.story

    New York Second Circuit Chief Judge Returns to Work, Reassures Staffers
    http://www.law.com/cgi-bin/nwlink.cgi?ACG=ZZZUHNKD2SC

    Starbucks Charged Rescuers for Water
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/wtccrash/story/0,1300,558564,00.html

    House Republican Leaders Balk at Any Help for Laid-Off Workers
    (but corporations who let terrorists onto airplanes? hey, no problem)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/26/business/26BENE.html?pagewanted=print

    Republicans are stalling the defense bill with special interest deals
    http://www.salon.com/politics/wire/2001/09/26/defense_budget/
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2001/09/26/house.htm

    Party Divisions Begin to Show Again
    (good, because the Republicans have shown they're willing to exploit the war)
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000077162sep26.story

    House Diverts Money for Terror Fight
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010926/us/terrorist_attacks_240.html

    Torricelli Wants Probe Into "Stunning" Intelligence Failure
    http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/09/26/inv.intelligence.board/

    Israel Furious at British Remarks "Justifying" Terror
    (Straw didn't "justify" anything; he reported facts)
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/0109/26/world/world16.html

    Cheap Heroin Set to Swamp the World
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/0109/27/world/world12.html

    New, Costly Obstacles for Overseas Commerce?
    http://www.law.com/cgi-bin/nwlink.cgi?ACG=ZZZFQ2R82SC

    pinheads selling hate gear on eBay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1642533699
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1009755109

    Architects Don't Foresee Skyscraper's Demise
    http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/09/26/rec.skyscraper.future/

    end