[RRE]attack

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 23:07:30 PDT

    Here are some more URL's related to the attacks and war.  I've mostly
    recovered from my post-September 11th burnout, and RRE readers are
    being real good about only sending me the high-quality material that
    people aren't likely to get from the mainstream media.  I don't know
    if this level of effort is sustainable, but I'll see what happens.
    Thanks to everyone who contributed.

    RRE home page: <http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/rre.html>

    attack, investigation, and war

    US Commandos Establish Base in Afghanistan
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/main.asp?id=15&date1=10/4/2001

    Dust Storms in Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan
    (it is *so* weird to care about dust storms in Turkmenistan)
    http://www.osei.noaa.gov/Events/Dust/MidEast/DSTmidE277_N6L.jpg
    http://www.osei.noaa.gov/Events/Dust/MidEast/DSTmidE277_N6.jpg

    Who's Got the Stingers?
    http://slate.msn.com/Gist/01-10-02/Gist.asp

    Killer "Melting" Plague Hits Afghan Border
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/0110/04/world/world108.html
    http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/10/04/wref04.xml

    Aid Groups May Be Weapon in Terrorism Fight
    http://www.law.com/cgi-bin/nwlink.cgi?ACG=ZZZC5TRLDSC

    The UK's Bin Laden Dossier in Full
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk_politics/newsid_1579000/1579043.stm

    Full Text of Tony Blair's Speech to Parliament
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/waronterror/story/0,1361,563205,00.html

    So What Is This Evidence Against Bin Laden?
    http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,177983,00.html

    diagram of connections among the hijackers
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/nation/graphics/attack/investigation_24.html

    A Mundane Itinerary on the Eve of Terror
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/05/national/05PORT.html

    Arrested Italian Cell Sheds Light on Bin Laden's European Network
    http://www.public-i.org/story_01_100401.htm

    Florida Man Hospitalized With Anthrax
    (now all sorts of things are taking on great significance)
    http://www.salon.com/news/wire/2001/10/04/anthrax/

    France Blast Possible Terror Attack
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20011004/wl/france_explosion_2.html

    radio calls from the September 11 collapse of the World Trade Center towers
    http://www.cnn.com/video/us/2001/10/04/dispatch.tapes.affl.med.html

    civil liberties and security

    White House, Senate Reach Agreement on Anti-Terrorism Bill
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000079336oct04.story

    Terror Laws Near Votes in House and Senate
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/05/national/05RIGH.html?pagewanted=print

    Ashcroft Pushes Stronger Antiterrorism Bill
    http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/10/04/inv.ashcroft.terrorism/

    Toward a Balanced Terrorism Bill
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/04/opinion/04THU3.html

    Proposed Legislation Significantly Affecting the Computer Profession
    http://www.usenix.org/whatsnew/legislation.html

    Consortium Responds to More Restrictive Access to Visas by Non-Immigrants
    http://www.uciep.org/press1.htm

    Report Warns of Rights Abuse Risk
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000079340oct04.story

    Viisage Selected to Deploy the First Face-Recognition System in a US Airport
    http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/011004/42302_1.html

    Nixed "Holy War" Web Site Offered PGP Encryption Key
    http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/170828.html

    Massive Search Reveals No Secret Code in Web Images

    Twenty Most Critical Internet Security Vulnerabilities
    http://66.129.1.101/top20.htm

    Securing the Lines of a Wired Nation
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/04/technology/circuits/04SECU.html

    Immigrants' Driver's License Bill a Victim of Terrible Timing
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-000079422oct04.column

    Muslim Leaders Condemn Thatcher Attack
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/wtccrash/story/0,1300,563247,00.html

    "in America, history shows, war does not override the calculus of politics"
    http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/polipro/pp2001-10-03.htm

    Bill to Boost Defendants' Rights in Italy Hinders Terrorism War
    (Berlusconi and his cronies are changing criminal law to protect themselves)
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000079343oct04.story

    Senate Favors Federal Airport Screeners
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000079338oct04.story

    comment

    "it is not Islam or poverty that succours terrorism, but failure to be heard"
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/afghanistan/story/0,1284,560193,00.html

    Beyond Bin Laden: The Temptations of a Wider War
    http://www.comw.org/pda/0109bm22.html

    Afghanistan's Invincibility: Piercing the Myths
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-000079270oct04.story

    Forbes attack on the generosity of Bush's economic stimulus plan
    http://www.forbes.com/2001/10/04/1004topnews.html

    Networks, Netwars, and the Fight for the Future
    http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue6_10/ronfeldt/

    Why People Hate America?
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/articles.asp?id=4&date1=10/4/2001

    problems with the utterly incompetent FBI and CIA
    ("FBI argued in the 1990s that bin Laden was not a primary security threat")
    http://www.economist.com/world/na/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=808795

    One Country's Terrorists Are Another's Liberators
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000079328oct04.story

    good thing Gore isn't president now, because the right would be slashing him!
    (we've started treating conservative smears as an impersonal law of nature)
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/637451.asp?0dm=C1ETN

    this obnoxious and arbitrary business of calling people anti-American
    (oppose some policies, you're American; oppose others, you're anti-American)
    http://www.dailyhowler.com/h100401_1.shtml

    response

    Senate Panel Approves Money Laundering Legislation
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/05/business/05BANK.html

    conservatives upset with new government role
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/05/national/05REPU.html?pagewanted=print

    Attacks Through the Mind of a Child
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/638118.asp

    New York Attack May Cost $105B
    http://cnnfn.cnn.com/2001/10/04/news/wtc_cost/

    Overhaul Sought for Spy Agencies
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000079327oct04.story

    Tourist-Centric Anaheim Finds Itself "Devastated" by Terror's Shock Waves
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000079330oct04.story

    designing towers that last longer under that kind of attack
    http://www.technologyreview.com/web/special/roush.asp

    background

    History, Memory, Trauma: Problems in Representing the Extreme (1999)
    http://www.rlg.org/annmtg/roth99.html

    Elder Bush in Big GOP Cast Toiling for Top Equity Firm (March 2001)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/05/politics/05CARL.html?pagewanted=all

    news and information

    video archive of C-SPAN shows about the attack etc
    http://www.c-span.org/terrorism/

    Browsing During Wartime
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A2771-2001Oct3.html

    The Effects of September 11 on the Leading Search Engine
    http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue6_10/wiggins/

    Arabic Programs in the US and Around the World
    http://www.wm.edu/aata/New-programs.htm

    Arab Names
    (e.g., what "bin" means)
    http://www.arab.net/arabnames/