[RRE]attack

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 23:45:44 PST

    Here are 150+ more URL's about the war, including extensive coverage
    of debates over US war strategy, response to the anthrax attacks,
    privacy controversies, nuclear security, recession politics, the
    Muslim world, and fashionable political jargon.  Thanks to everyone
    who contributed.

    This is the last of these biweekly collections of URL's that I'm going
    to send out.  It's gotten to be too much.  I'm talking with people
    about tools for putting these Web-filtering lists together more easily.
    I'll probably have more on that topic soon.

    RRE home page: <http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/rre.html>

    Please forward this message to anyone who can use it.

    war

    The Week It All Went Wobbly for the West
    http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/11/04/stiusausa02012.html

    Talk Grows of a Major US Troop Deployment
    http://www.csmonitor.com/2001/1101/p1s2-usmi.html

    Big Ground Force Seen as Necessary to Defeat Taliban
    (I don't like where this is going)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A27171-2001Nov1.html

    Thousands of Troops in Big Afghan Push "Within Weeks"
    http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/11/04/stiusausa02026.html

    A Vigorous Debate on US War Tactics
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/04/international/04STRA.html

    Hawks Push Unfamiliar Allies Into a Belligerent Embrace
    http://www.observer.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,587377,00.html

    US Goals "Foggy" to Some Would-Be Allies
    (that's because of the power struggle in Washington)
    http://www.csmonitor.com/2001/1019/p8s1-wosc.html

    More and More, War Is Viewed as America's
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/04/international/04ABRO.html?pagewanted=print

    The Coalition Is Broad, But Can It Hold?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/04/weekinreview/04APPL.html

    Hunting Bin Laden: US Stymied by Slippery Target
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36323-2001Nov3.html

    Torture, Treachery and Spies: Covert War in Afghanistan
    http://www.observer.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,587311,00.html

    Voices from the Region: Interview with Commander Abdul Haq
    (interview about two weeks before his death)
    http://www.ceip.org/files/Publications/lievendispatch-haq.asp

    US Changing Color of Airdropped Food Packs
    (not good)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A27560-2001Nov1.html

    Osama bin Laden might have some of Russia's missing nukes
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,2001350022-2001365997,00.html

    Bin Laden May Have Miniature Nukes
    http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/main.asp?id=3&date1=10/31/2001

    Opponent's Escape Triggers Rebellion Threat Against Taliban Leader
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/0111/04/world/world5.html

    US Mum Over Performance of Combat UAVs
    http://www.menewsline.com/stories/2001/november/11_02_1.html

    "Great Game II" Has a Wealth of Players
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000087197nov02.story

    General Gives Uzbek Leader Warm Words and Spotlight
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/31/international/asia/31UZBE.html

    extreme repression by our good friend Uzbekistan
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-110301uzbek.story

    With the Northern Alliance
    http://www.nybooks.com/articles/14787

    Pacific Plan Seeks Clues to Al Qaeda Contacts
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36549-2001Nov3.html

    Somalia Draws Anti-Terrorist Focus
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36231-2001Nov3.html

    Rising Muslim Power in Africa Causes Unrest in Nigeria and Elsewhere
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/01/international/africa/01ISLA.html

    White Power and Al Qaeda Unite Against America
    http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0144/ridgeway.php

    Musharraf Walking a Tight-Rope
    http://www.gulf-news.com/Articles/print.asp?ArticleID=31266

    Dissent Threatens Pakistani Leader
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36303-2001Nov3.html

    Pakistan Wary of Its New-Found Friend
    (i.e., us)
    http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/articles.html?print=true&id=011101001513

    The Risks to Pakistan's Nuclear Arsenal
    http://www.newyorker.com/FACT/
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36075-2001Nov3.html

    Pakistan Panics Over Threat to Nuclear Arsenal
    http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/11/04/stiusausa02016.html

    propaganda war

    US Campaign on a Second Front: Public Opinion
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/31/international/asia/31STRA.html?pagewanted=print

    Stop Bombing, and Start Thinking "Hearts and Minds"
    http://www.csmonitor.com/2001/1101/p11s1-coop.html

    Psychology is the Key to Victory
    http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/11/04/stiusausa03003.html

    Rumsfeld Shows How Truth Is Our Most Potent Weapon
    http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion/ny-vppag302438113oct30.story

    Brand of the Free
    (inept US public relations campaign)
    http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/articles.html?print=true&id=011020001032
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000086869nov01.story

    anthrax and biowar

    States Urged to Update Antiquated Public Health Laws
    http://www.law.com/cgi-bin/nwlink.cgi?ACG=ZZZ3WYAOKTC

    A Muscular Lobby Tries to Shape Nation's Bioterror Plan
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/04/business/04PHAR.html?pagewanted=print

    Anthrax Probe Is Assailed
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000086866nov01.story

    Take the Bin Laden Halloween Mask Off the Anthrax Threat
    http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/news_features/daily/documents/01984065.htm

    US Hate Groups Have Some Ties to Germ Warfare
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/02/national/02HATE.html?pagewanted=print

    Fifteen Exposed to Dead Cows Treated for Anthrax
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2001/10/31/MN66939.DTL

    site that gathers absurd anthrax-hysteria stories
    http://www.gaffin.com/anthraxities/

    Pasco Man With a "Sore Loserman" Sticker Arrested in Anthrax Scare
    http://www.sptimes.com/News/102701/Pasco/Pasco_man_arrested_in.shtml

    The Threat Extends to Our Burgers
    http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-000087168nov02.story

    Food Industry Tightens Security
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-000086900nov01.story

    Panel to Propose National Vaccine Laboratory
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20011101/hl/vaccine_5.html
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36072-2001Nov3.html

    bizarre US military anthrax vaccination propaganda site
    (you may recall that the subject has been intensely controversial for years)
    http://www.anthrax.osd.mil/Flash_interface/intro.html

    "why W. isn't talking about anthrax"
    http://www.thenewrepublic.com/111201/lizza111201.html

    Flu Season and the Anthrax Scare
    (directory of links, including many not mentioned here)
    http://poynter.org/dj/shedden/110101.htm

    Analysis: Threat From Disease Weapons
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_1618000/1618420.stm

    Ventilation Systems Vulnerable, Officials Say
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32470-2001Nov2.html

    Smallpox
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/smallpox.html

    US Sets Up Plan to Fight Smallpox in Case of Attack
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/04/national/04CDC.html?pagewanted=print

    And Now, the Good News About Smallpox
    http://slate.msn.com/?id=2057774

    civil liberties and security

    Anti-Terrorism Law Likely to Bring Domestic Apparatus of Unprecedented Scope
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A33340-2001Nov3.html

    Massive, Secret Detention Effort Aimed Mainly at Preventing More Terror
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36356-2001Nov3.html

    Terrorist Net Catches Some Who Aren't
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/651663.asp

    Clock Ticks on Terrorism-Related Detentions: New Law May Force DOJ's Hand
    http://www.law.com/cgi-bin/nwlink.cgi?ACG=ZZZW7WBIATC

    Government Asks Court to Consider Case of Professor Accused in Secret Papers
    http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20011102_1410.html

    Critics Say Illinois Gov. Ryan's Anti-Terrorism Plan Too Broad, Redundant
    (a prime example of inflating the word "terrorism" to cover almost everything)
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/southwest/chi-0111010174nov01.story

    Privacy in an Age of Terror
    http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/01_45/b3756001.htm

    New Law Contains ID-Card Proposal
    (but then it's the Washington Times, which prints the lies that others won't)
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20011031-576161.htm

    Americans Mull National ID Cards
    http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/10/31/rec.national.id.cards/

    States Devising Plan for High-Tech National Identification Cards
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32717-2001Nov2.html

    national ID debate
    http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/01_45/b3756006.htm
    http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/01_45/b3756007.htm

    left-right coalition politics of privacy
    http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/01_45/b3756005.htm

    Will Face Recognition Keep Airports Safe?
    http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-7753504.html

    ACLU: Face Recognition Systems Ineffective
    (study the fascinating doubletalk in the "false sense of security" quote)
    http://www.cnn.com/2001/TRAVEL/NEWS/11/02/rec.face.recognition.ap/
    http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5099140,00.html

    The Fourth Amendment Doesn't Say What Most Libertarians or Judges Think It Does
    http://www.law.com/cgi-bin/nwlink.cgi?ACG=ZZZ22XJKKTC

    Judge Rules Against Anti-War Student
    (hello? the US is worth defending because it protects "disruptive" speech)
    http://salon.com/mwt/wire/2001/11/01/anarchy_ruling/

    Student, Principal Spar Over Anarchy Club, Clothing
    http://www.wvgazette.com/news/Other+News/2001110128/

    "law would force high schools to give students' info to the military"
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000087211nov02.story

    Senate Measure Seeks Airline Passenger Lists
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000086861nov01.story

    Karl Marx Led to My Arrest as a Terrorist in Germany
    ("you can't travel with books like this, said the arresting officer")
    http://argument.independent.co.uk/commentators/story.jsp?story=102144

    military call for proposals on anti-terrorism technology
    (this is the very odd document whose press release I sent out before)
    https://www.bids.tswg.gov/tswg/bids.nsf/DownloadBAAs/02-Q-4655/$FILE/ATL+BAA+Package2.pdf

    Newly Appointed Cyberspace Security Czar Aims to Prevent "Digital Pearl Harbor"
    (but I have yet to see much evidence that he knows what he's talking about)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36571-2001Nov3.html

    threat of nuclear terrorism
    http://www.economist.com/world/na/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=842483

    Atomic Agency Warns of Nuclear Terror Risk
    http://news.ft.com/ft/gx.cgi/ftc?pagename=View&c=Article&cid=FT3KALWNHTC&live=true&tagid=IXLYK5HZ8CC

    Are Nuclear Power Plants Secure?
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32790-2001Nov2.html

    European Nuclear Industry Hit by Terrorism Fallout
    http://ens.lycos.com/ens/oct2001/2001L-10-22-04.html

    No Room for Mistakes: Rethinking Nuclear Technology
    http://www.fpif.org/briefs/vol6/v6n34nukes.html

    Ridge on the Ledge
    http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20011119&s=corn

    Ashcroft Reveals Immigration Crackdown
    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-Attacks-Investigation.html

    The Return of "Fortress Europe"?
    http://www.stratfor.com/home/0110312230.htm

    Visa Process to Allow More Time for Background Checks
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0111010322nov01.story

    Pentagon Crash Highlights a Radar Gap
    (it's true: we don't know remotely enough about where the planes are)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32597-2001Nov2.html

    martial arts training for flight attendants
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-000087082nov02.column

    Pilots Attack Security Measures
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/ukresponse/story/0,11017,584446,00.html

    DeLay's Arm-Twisting Won Airport Security Fight for GOP
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0111030124nov03.story

    Bipartisan to All Partisan on Air Security
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/03/national/03SECU.html

    Stalemate in Congress Irks Security Experts
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/03/business/03AIR.html

    GOP Moderates See Dangers in Bush's Stance on Aviation Security
    (votes on airport security and corporate tax rebates will be issues in 2002)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/03/national/03BUSH.html?pagewanted=print
    http://www.nyobserver.com/pages/conason.asp

    Almanac of American Politics 2002
    http://nationaljournal.com/members/almanac/

    the Republicans' amazing "stimulus" proposals

    Operation Enduring Avarice
    (in-your-face war profiteering by Republican campaign contributors)
    http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=11839
    http://www.epn.org/cgi-bin/rd/epn_letter.pl?id=1500

    Bush Proposal Is More Troubling in Key Respects Than the House "Stimulus" Bill
    http://www.cbpp.org/10-29-01tax.htm

    Stimulus for Whom?
    http://www.epn.org/ideacentral/cc/econ_crisis.html

    they're using the cover of wartime to give money to Texas oil companies
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/31/opinion/31KRUG.html
    http://www.thenewrepublic.com/111201/editorial111201.html

    meet the leader of this travesty, Ways and Means chair Bill Thomas
    http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-000087170nov02.column

    Wartime Tax Legislation and the Politics of Policymaking
    http://www.epn.org/cgi-bin/rd/epn_letter.pl?id=1499

    Recession Expected to Spread Worldwide
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36367-2001Nov3.html

    For the First Time Since Ike, a Whiff of US Deflation
    (deflation is dangerous: another reason why these "stimulus" plans are nuts)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/02/business/02NORR.html

    Islam and the Muslim world

    "We Will Replace the Bible with the Koran in Britain"
    http://www.observer.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,587331,00.html

    British Muslim Support for Terror
    http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/11/04/stiusausa01022.html
    http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/11/04/stiusausa01025.html

    Britain Ignores the Angry Muslims Within at Its Peril
    http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/11/04/stinwcnwc01004.html

    A Different Perspective: Muslim Websites in Britain
    (the Muslim community in the UK is extremely different from that in the US)
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/ukresponse/story/0,11017,584801,00.html

    Survey on Saudi Arabia
    http://surveys.ft.com/saudi2001/

    Saudi Job Famine That Feeds Terror
    http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/articles.html?print=true&id=011019001156

    Saudi Royal Family Faces a Battle Against Bin Laden Followers
    http://www.portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/11/02/wfor02.xml&sSheet=/news/2001/11/02/ixhome.html

    Yes, This Is About Islam by Salman Rushdie
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/02/opinion/02RUSH.html

    The Anger of the Damned
    http://www.nybooks.com/articles/14763

    column about anti-Semitism in the Muslim world
    (no, it's not like Hitler, but it's still reprehensible)
    http://www.thenewrepublic.com/110501/sullivan110501.html

    The Role of Faith in Peacemaking: An Islamic Perspective
    http://www.usip.org/oc/events/islamic_peacemaking.html

    Mutual Misperceptions: The Historical Context of Muslim-Western Relations
    http://www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/cib/2001-02/02cib07.htm

    Pakistani American news and information portal
    http://www.pakistanlink.com/

    Islamic Studies, Islam, Arabic, and Religion
    http://www.arches.uga.edu/~godlas/

    Experts on Islam Pointing Fingers at One Another
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/03/arts/03EXPE.html?pagewanted=print

    The Making of Afghanistan
    http://www.nybooks.com/articles/14780

    "The Taliban Are Well Liked"
    (we have to ask ourselves why the Taliban haven't collapsed as promised)
    http://www.asiaweek.com/asiaweek/daily/foc/0,8773,180342,00.html

    Afghans Are Their Own Best Keepers
    http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-000087169nov02.story

    Muslim Leaders Attack Extremists' Claims
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/waronterror/story/0,1361,583879,00.html

    A Quiet Throng Hopes to Show "Correct Islam"
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-110301meet.story

    comment

    "Terrorism": The History of a Very Frightening Word
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/10/28/IN159328.DTL

    It's Only Going To Get Worse
    http://www.inthesetimes.com/issue/25/26/feature2.shtml

    "we should stop the bombing and intensify the international police hunt"
    http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2001/11/03/war/

    Mistake to Declare This a "War"
    http://www.thisislondon.com/dynamic/news/story.html?in_review_id=470295

    all in one place, a complete catalogue of the stereotypes of war opponents
    (plus rebuttals, some valid, hopefully provoking better arguments in response)
    http://www.nationalreview.com/hanson/hansonprint110201.html

    The Real "Fifth Column"
    (not liberal intellectuals but the far right)
    http://www.salon.com/news/col/cona/2001/11/01/fifth_column/

    Flight 93 Shot Down?
    (I have no idea)
    http://seattle.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=8369&group=webcast

    The Role of Pakistan's Military Intelligence Agency in the 9/11 Attacks
    http://globalresearch.ca/articles/CHO111A.html

    utterly pointless but super-well-produced fake propaganda site
    http://www.designdefenseministry.com/

    The US Must Make the Transition From Informal to Formal Empire
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/waronterror/story/0,1361,583902,00.html

    Which America Will We Be Now? by Bill Moyers
    http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20011119&s=moyers

    How America Responds to the Unexpected
    http://nationaljournal.com/members/news/2001/11/1102nj1.htm

    anti-war advertisement from South Africa
    http://www.twf.org/Library/HRFAdvert.pdf
    http://www.twf.org/Library/WaronIslam.html

    Wider War Watch: The War on Terrorism and the Impetus to Widen It
    http://www.comw.org/pda/widerwarwatch/

    The War on Terrorism, the World Oil Market and the US Economy
    http://www.brookings.edu/views/papers/perry/20011024.pdf

    America and the War
    http://www.nybooks.com/articles/14760

    more blithering about war dissent from Norah Vincent
    (this column is so stupid that it isn't even jargon)
    http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-000086724nov01.story

    Grover Norquist's Strange Alliance With Radical Islam
    (it blows my mind that conservatives treat Grover Norquist as a leader)
    http://www.thenewrepublic.com/111201/foer111201.html

    How the Right-Wing Zealots Misuse the Word of God and of Our Founding Fathers
    http://www.democrats.com/view.cfm?id=5021

    The Mini-Jihads of David Horowitz
    http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?ItemId=12234

    leading "Christian" commentator pushing for nukes against Afghanistan
    (and repeating the shameful propaganda about the bombing of Japan)
    http://www.nandotimes.com/opinions/story/161498p-1535347c.html

    jargon watch: observe how the most extreme lies can be packaged as innuendoes
    (I guess many conservatives enjoy this sort of weapons-grade nastiness)
    http://www.townhall.com/columnists/anncoulter/printac20011101.shtml

    news and information

    journalists and locals exploiting one another in Central Asia
    http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/articles.html?print=true&id=011027001534

    Media Still Wait to Be Called Up
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000086851nov01.story

    In Wartime, Government Considers Media a Menace
    http://www.public-i.org/commentary_01_103101.htm

    Focus on Civilian Casualties Would Be "Perverse"
    http://www.fair.org/activism/cnn-casualties.html

    Bibliography on Terrorism, Bioterror, the Middle East, and 9-11 Related Issues
    http://www.llrx.com/features/terrorbiblio.htm

    investigation

    Revealed: The Bloody Pages of Al-Qaeda's Killing Manual
    http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/11/04/stiusausa02024.html

    argument that Ayman al-Zawahiri is the real leader of Al Qaeda
    http://www.csmonitor.com/2001/1031/p6s1-wosc.html

    In Overheard Calls, Terrorists Spoke of Major Attack, Officials Say
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/02/national/02THRE.html

    Hijackers' Meticulous Strategy of Brains, Muscle and Practice
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/04/national/04PLOT.html

    Nuclear Plot Suspects Freed After Mix-Up
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/wtccrash/story/0,1300,584658,00.html

    FBI Raids Trenton, NJ Apartment
    http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/11/02/inv.nj.raid/

    19 Terrorists Obtained Social Security Cards
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A27299-2001Nov1.html

    response

    In Neckties or Fire Helmets, Victims Shared a Work Ethic
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/04/nyregion/04PORT.html

    Service Brings Flight 11 Passenger Home
    http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/304/nation/Service_brings_Flight_11_passenger_home+.shtml

    Secret CIA Site in New York Was Destroyed on September 11th
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/04/national/04INTE.html?pagewanted=print

    Toxic Chemicals Released From World Trade Center Wreckage

    Twin Towers Are at Center of Brawl Over Payments and Rebuilding
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/03/business/03BATT.html?pagewanted=all

    House GOP Says McCain Will Pay for "Humor"
    (gosh, I thought it was liberals who were humorless -- so hard to keep track)
    http://www.thehill.com/103101/humor.shtm

    Republicans believe in the free market, except when they don't
    (most of their beliefs are like that -- the case at hand is insurance)
    http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/articles.html?print=true&id=011101001516

    background

    The Ex-Presidents' Club
    (the Carlyle Group)