[RRE]pointers

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Sun Dec 16 2001 - 23:12:36 PST

    Here are some more URL's.  Thanks to everyone who contributed.

    RRE home page: http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/rre.html

    Can you send me URL's for music critics' end-of-year top-ten lists?
    All genres, worldwide.  I'll gather them and send them out.

    Pick Hit: The Reivers, Pop Beloved
    (which I got from an independent record store's top-ten list ten years ago)

    The Times of London Web site now requires registration, the "terms and
    conditions" for which includes the following:

      Except as specifically stated in these terms, you may not do any of
      the following without prior written permission from us: [...]

      set up links to either of the Internet editions except to the index
      page of The Times website at http://www.thetimes.co.uk or the index
      page of the Sunday Times website at http://www.sunday-times.co.uk,
      without the express written permission of the webmaster.

    Last point.  Many people object to my use of apostrophes in words such
    as URL's and 1980's.  I'm afraid these apostrophes are required by the
    RRE style manual; as such I can do nothing about them.

    war

    What Walker Knows -- And What He Faces
    (if Walker represents all liberals then McVeigh represents all conservatives)
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/673497.asp

    explanation of the war etc for children
    (bottom half of this page)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/education/kidspost/

    "DO NOT USE wire stories which lead with civilian casualties"
    http://www.poynter.org/medianews/memos.htm#casualties

    Psychological Operations (PSYOP) in Time of Military Conflict
    http://cryptome.org/dsb-psyop.htm

    MEMRI "spreads calumny in an effort to stir up malice toward Muslims"
    http://ojr.usc.edu/content/story.cfm?request=668

    The Carlyle Group
    http://www.carlylegroup.com/

    more on government LSD experiments during the Cold War
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A34204-2001Dec12.html

    Japan Broke US Code Before Pearl Harbor, Researcher Finds
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-120701codes.story

    anthrax

    Capitol Hill Anthrax Matches Army's Stocks
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A49502-2001Dec15.html

    US Scientists Deplore Army's Silence on Anthrax Program
    http://www.iht.com/articles/41998.htm

    Wind May Explain Mystery Anthrax Cases

    civil liberties and security

    New Anti-Terror Law Brings Consternation
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000099912dec16.story

    The Supreme Court Case Cited in Support of Military Tribunals
    http://writ.news.findlaw.com/lazarus/20011211.html

    A Dangerous List to the Right
    (finally, conservative -- albeit Democratic -- dissent from the ACTA list)
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/12/09/IN162710.DTL

    Ashcroft's Protection of the Rights of Possible Terrorists to Possess Firearms
    http://writ.news.findlaw.com/dorf/20011210.html

    State Backs Off Crackdown at DMV
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000099873dec16.story

    Fraudulent Passports Key Weapon for Terrorists
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000099859dec16.story

    National ID Card Gaining Support
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A52300-2001Dec16.html

    derivative article endorsing a totalitarian society of ubiquitous surveillance
    (with the usual bogus claim that the powerful will magically be surveilled too)
    http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/surveillance_pr.html

    Chemical Plants Are Feared as Terrorist Targets
    (community groups have been raised concerns about these plants for years)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47114-2001Dec15.html

    Nuclear Sites Ill-Prepared For Attacks, Group Says
    (would anything short of a police state be adequate to protect them?)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/17/national/17SECU.html?pagewanted=print

    the fall of Enron

    Enron Auditor Raises Specter of Crime
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/13/business/13ENRO.html

    The Murky Demise of Enron
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/672866.asp

    Enron Board Comes Under a Storm of Criticism
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/16/business/yourmoney/16BOAR.html?pagewanted=print

    Enron Makes Whitewater Look Like Peanuts
    http://www.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITICS/12/12/column.billpress/

    Washington Friends Desert Enron Chief
    ("sorry, but you're radioactive and you got yourself this way")
    http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000099371dec15.story

    politics

    High Court Has Refused All Election Cases in 2001
    http://www.ballot-access.org/2001/1101.html#01

    survey of the conservative factions and their relation to Bush
    http://politics.guardian.co.uk/archive/article/0,,4319110,00.html

    the current campaign against Tom Daschle
    (by people who do not believe in democracy and equate opposition with treason)
    http://www.truthout.com/12.16D.Straw.Demon.htm

    Ten Commandments Become Weapon in Church-State Battle
    (you'd think that theocracy would be a little bit out of style right now)
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/nation/1173825

    Bush Halts Inquiry of FBI and Stirs Up a Firestorm
    http://seattlep-i.nwsource.com/national/50583_privilege14.shtml

    Racicot's Lobbying Defies Recent Trend
    (you'd think that Enron lobbyists would be out of style as well)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A49484-2001Dec15.html

    In Case of Terrorist Attack
    (guide for CEO's)
    http://www.salon.com/comics/boll/2001/12/06/boll/

    The President's Papers Are the People's Business
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A46716-2001Dec14.html

    Republicans won't rebuild New York because it votes Democratic
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/16/magazine/16SENATORS.html?pagewanted=all

    jargon watch: dominating the media, they twist others' views with impunity
    (in a sane world, the third sentence alone would cause national outrage)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A46709-2001Dec14.html

    jargon watch: you can ignore anyone's stated arguments with "seems to be"
    (note also the long lists, the word "terrorism", etc)
    http://kz.mlive.com/columns/index.ssf?/news/stories/20011216kopnvdunham1216.frm

    everything else

    new version of "The Access Guides and the Contradictions of Design"
    (I've just fixed a small error in my description of the front cover map)
    http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/access.html

    Participatory Design, Malmo, 23-25 June 2002
    (it's 2002, not 2001 -- they've got the date wrong)
    http://pdc2002.interactiveinstitute.se/

    media and communications programme at the London School of Economics
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/Depts/Media/

    Robin Mansell's inaugural lecture
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/Depts/Media/rmlecture.pdf

    article about computer-driven logistics -- which is to say, trucking
    (what's most striking is that the basic algorithms are quite old)
    http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/sheffi_pr.html

    Implementing Information Systems in Health Care Organizations
    http://www.bmg.eur.nl/smw/publications/fisimp.pdf

    The Institutional Character of Computerized Information Systems
    (compare the way they use the word "institutional" to the way I've used it)
    http://www.slis.indiana.edu/kling/pubs/INSTI97C.htm

    papers by Erik Monteiro on organizational computing standards
    http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~ericm/ericm.publik.htm

    ten-year retrospective of Web standards politics
    http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1014-201-8178815-0.html

    Bluetooth's Future Looking Rosier
    (indirect network effects in action)
    http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-8182157.html

    The Re-Invention of Public Key Infrastructure
    http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/EC/PKIReinv.html

    EU Agrees to Impose Tax on Internet Downloads
    http://www.iht.com/articles/42009.htm

    Joining Content and Distribution
    (some of the economic forces that favor media concentration)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/15/business/media/15ASSE.html?pagewanted=print

    SBC, Nokia Execs to Testify Against Microsoft
    (not that we enjoy being on the same side as SBC)
    http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1004-200-8180375.html

    Near Proof for Near Death?
    (check out the new experiment in the third paragraph from the end)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A52232-2001Dec16.html

    creepy article about the epidemic of autism in Silicon Valley
    (does mobility bring out recessive genes?)
    http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aspergers.html

    end