[RRE]The Way We Talk Now

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 21:47:01 PST

    [Usually when I send out book ads, I include the introduction or
    several pages of excerpts.  In the case of Geoff Nunberg's "The Way
    We Talk Now", however, a couple of the pieces have already appeared
    on the list:

      The Dactyls of October
      http://commons.somewhere.com/rre/1994/The.Dactyls.of.October.html

      Virtual Rialto
      http://commons.somewhere.com/rre/1995/Virtual.Rialto.html

    So have a couple of his columns that aren't in the book:

      My Computer
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rre/message/903

      Gimcrack Nation
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rre/message/258

    A few more of his columns can be found here:

      Selected Pieces From "Fresh Air" on NPR
      http://www-csli.stanford.edu/~nunberg/FreshAir.html

    And some of his longer articles are here:

      Geoff's articles in the American Prospect
      http://www.prospect.org/authors/nunberg-g.html

    Geoff is a linguist who chairs the usage panel of the American Heritage
    Dictionary, and he's also a world-class conversationalist, so I know
    you'll like the book.]

    This message was forwarded through the Red Rock Eater News Service (RRE).
    You are welcome to send the message along to others but please do not use
    the "redirect" option.  For information about RRE, including instructions
    for (un)subscribing, see http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/rre.html

    Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 10:21:35 PST
    From: Geoffrey Nunberg <nunbergat_private>

    The Way We Talk Now

    by Geoffrey Nunberg

    Houghton Mifflin, 2001.

    http://thewaywetalknow.com/

    What does it say, linguist Geoffrey Nunberg wonders, that country
    music has such a longstanding obsession with -- or maybe it's an
    addiction for -- puns?  Why do Americans embrace a national anthem
    whose sentence structure makes it almost impossible to understand?
    Why have movies given us so many memorable phrases, and television
    so few?  What do recent Internet coinages and domain names tell us
    about our cyberculture?  Since the late 1980s, Geoffrey Nunberg has
    been keeping tabs on America's verbal manifestations and manipulations,
    and he has broadcast his sightings as a regular feature on National
    Public Radio's "Fresh Air" and in magazines such as Forbes and Fortune.
    Now one of America's most well-known word spotters has collected his
    opinions in a volume of witty essays that make sense of our frenetic,
    morphing world.

    Nunberg is as witty as he is perceptive.  "The Way We Talk Now" is a
    book that can tune your linguistic antennae more finely.

    -- Charles Matthews, The San Jose Mercury News.

    The Way We Talk Now is witty, contemporary and urbane -- sure to
    appeal to anyone who's ever reflected on why "groovy" passed out of
    common parlance, or why teenagers say "like".  What is outstanding
    is Nunberg's ability to examine language, that most everyday currency,
    and turn slang into the sublime.  In a chatty, accessible style,
    he takes American catchwords and colloquialisms and turns them into
    signifiers.  In Nunberg's world, even the lyrics of country music
    songs shine: "The sense of loss and estrangement is implicit in the
    language of the lyrics, too, as the ordinary expressions we use to
    talk about our lives break down to reveal darker meanings".  The Way
    We Talk Now is the kind of book you just can't stop talking about.

    -- Meredith Broussard, Philadelphia City Paper

    =============
    TABLE OF CONTENTS
    Preface

    THE PASSING SCENE
    The Choice of Sophie {1989}
    Vietnamese for Travelers {1989}
    You Know {1992}
    Yesss, Indeed! {1995}
    Look-See {1994}
    The N-Word {1995}
    Some Pig! {1995}
    A Few of My Favorite Words {1995}
    Rex Ipse {1995}
    An Interjection for the Age {1997}
    The Last Post {1997}
    As a Cigarette Should {1997}
    Go Figure {1998}
    The Past Is Another Country {1998}
    Yadda Yadda Doo {1998}
    Gen Z and Counting {1999}
    Wordplay in the Country {1999}
    Turn-of-the-Century {2000}

    WORD HISTORIES
    Hoosiers {1989}
    Easy on the Zeal {1992}
    The Decline of Slang {1992}
    The Last Galoot {1992}
    Uber and Out {1993}
    The Burbs {1995}
    Rebirth of the Cool {1996}
    Remembering Ned Ludd {1996}
    Paparazzo and Friends {1997}
    The Cult Quotient {1997}
    Portmanteau Words {1999}
    Ten Suffixes That Changed the World {1999}
    The Edge {2000}
    No Picnic {2000}
    Community Sting {2000}

    POLITICS OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
    Force and Violence {1990}
    Eastern Questions {1991}
    A Suffix in the Sand {1991}
    PC {1991}
    Party Down {1996}
    Standard Issue {1997}
    Group Grope {1998}
    The Jewish Question {2000}
    Only Contract {2000}
    Chad Row {2000}

    THE TWO R'S
    I Put a Spell on You {1990}
    Naming of Parts {1994}
    Reading for the Plot {1994}
    Split Decision {1995}
    Sex and the Singular Verb {1996}
    Verbed Off {1997}
    Hell in a Handcar {1999}
    Distinctions {2000}
    Points in Your Favor {2000}
    Shall Game {2001}
    Literacy Literacy {2001}

    TECHNICAL TERMS
    The Dactyls of October {1995}
    Virtual Rialto {1995}
    The Talking Gambit {1997}
    Lost in Space {1997}
    A Wink is As Good As a Nod {1997}
    How the Web Was Won {1998}
    The Software We Deserve {1998}
    Have It My Way {1998}
    The Writing on the Walls {1999}
    Its Own Reward {2000}
    Hackers {2000}

    BUSINESS TALK
    You're Out of Here {1996}
    Whaddya Know? {1998}
    Slides Rule {1999}
    Come Together, Right Now {1999}
    It's the Thought That Matters {2000}
    A Name Too Far {2000}
    Having Issues {2000}

    VALEDICTION
    Pack It In! {1999}

    =====
    FROM THE PREFACE

    Over the thirteen years that I've been doing language commentaries
    for the National Public Radio program Fresh Air, I've occasionally
    recorded several pieces at a time.  So it happens now and then
    that I run into friends who say "I heard you on the radio yesterday"
    without my knowing which piece aired.  When I ask which one they
    heard, it sometimes takes them a minute to remember; there will be
    an embarrassed pause, followed by something like "Gee, let me think
    -- I was turning left off Folsom onto Ninth ..."

    I can sympathize.  That recession from consciousness is an inevitable
    effect of the way most of us listen to the radio nowadays, our minds
    darting nimbly between the program, the calls we have to make when
    we get to the office, and the jerk in the SUV who just cut us off.
    When we get out of the car, it can feel like waking up: we file away
    what we heard in the same part of the brain where dreams are stored.

    But then, that's pretty much the way we hear most of the talk that
    comes at us.  It lingers for a few seconds in short-term memory,
    and then it evanesces.  Ten minutes later we can recall what we were
    told but not how.  Even the strains and cracks of language escape our
    notice; like the incongruities of dreams, they're obvious only when
    we reflect on them in the light of day.  And as with dreams, it can
    be hard to discern the work that talk is doing, over and above getting
    us from point A to point B.

    The pieces collected here are efforts to snatch some insights from
    the torrent of our talk in the brief interval before it fades out
    of hearing.  Taken together, the topics are a jumble, but that's
    probably a fair picture of our collective mind over the past decade:
    PC ... downsize ... nigger ... Luddite ... community ... yadda yadda
    ... postmodern ... Are you OK with that? ... virtual ...  Ebonics
    ... chad ... hackers ... whatever!  Some of these are the keywords of
    our culture; others are as fleeting as the voices that come over the
    car radio.  In either case, though, it's sometimes more interesting
    to sneak up on words rather than tackle them head on.  That's the
    way linguists like to work: we fasten on some inconspicuous detail
    of usage and worry it until a crack opens and we can glimpse the
    hurly-burly going on outside.  And for these purposes it really isn't
    necessary to focus on the important words.  You can do just as well
    prowling around the proletarian quarters of the vocabulary, where
    suffixes and interjections live out their ordinary lives.  The more
    mundane the setting, the more pleasure you take in turning up some
    unexpected revelation; it's like happening on a Goya at a garage sale.

    Those revealing minutiae can be compelling, precisely because we're
    normally unaware of them -- they evoke the uncanny feeling that we
    have when we realize that our unconscious has inadvertently given
    itself away.  It doesn't take any special training or perspicacity
    to notice such things, once you get into the habit of cocking your
    ears for them.  But it's useful to keep an open mind as well.  I'm not
    one of those panglossian linguists who think that everything happens
    for the best in our language.  I hear a lot of talk that I am content
    to observe from the sidelines; for example, I personally prefer to
    call problems problems and to reserve the word issue for matters like
    universal health care.  But I'm not comfortable with the style of
    criticism that calls attention to language only to deplore it.  If you
    think you're smarter than the language, you're liable not to attend to
    what it's saying.

    end