[RRE]pointers

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 13:23:30 PDT

    I have fallen behind in studying the URL's that people have sent me.
    Rather than delay any further, though, let me send out what I've got.
    Thanks to everyone who contributed.

    RRE home page: http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/rre.html

    war

    Free the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia
    http://www.jpost.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=JPost/A/JPArticle/PrinterFull&cid=1020943224635

    My Team Should Have Investigated Jenin
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3778-2002May10.html

    1992 Congressial report referring to Iran, Iraq, and Syria as an "axis pact"
    (I haven't read to see if they had real evidence of Iran-Iraq collaboration)
    http://www.fas.org/irp/congress/1992_rpt/bod4.htm

    article from May 2000 about the world of international arms dealers
    http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m1111/1800_300/61856255/print.jhtml

    Venezuela After the Coup Attempt
    http://www.zmag.org/content/LatinAmerica/wilpertaftcoup.cfm

    Agent: Moussaoui "could fly ... into the WTC"
    http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/05/12/inv.moussaoui.fbi/

    more on the propaganda war
    ("I am an information warrior and a perception manager")
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/templates/misc/printstory.jsp?slug=chi%2D0205120237may12

    "there are only 25,000 tons to be carted to the landfill from Lower Manhattan"
    (only)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/14/nyregion/14LAND.html

    civil liberties and security

    articles on civil liberties issues after September 11th
    http://www.abanet.org/irr/hr/winter02.html

    complete list of the things you can't take on an airplane
    http://www.tsa.dot.gov/workingwithtsa/travel.htm

    Big John Wants Your Reading List
    http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0209/hentoff.php

    The Constitution Does Not Protect Spamming
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/12/opinion/12SUN3.html?pagewanted=print

    Vulnerability Is Discovered in Security for Smart Cards
    (does someone have a URL for the paper?)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/13/technology/13SMAR.html?pagewanted=print

    Credit Card Theft Thrives Online as Global Market Losses Grow
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/13/technology/13CARD.html
    http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/132/business/Large_scale_identity_theft_is_painful_reminder_of_riskP.shtml

    politics

    US Treasury Web Site Reveals $ Half-Trillion Deficit
    (NY Post isn't known for its economics, but then not for opposing Bush either)
    http://www.nypost.com/business/47855.htm

    once again, twisting the Constitution under the guise of saving it
    (it's a method)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/12/opinion/12RAKO.html?pagewanted=print

    jargon watch: using an anecdote to sell a message (i.e., they hate business)
    (while ignoring massive evidence, e.g., Gretchen Morgenson's recent Pulitzer)
    http://www.mises.org/fullstory.asp?control=947&FS=The+Press+and+the+State

    Woes for Company Running Schools
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/14/business/14EDIS.html

    Treasury Circumventing Hill on Tax Breaks
    http://www.thehill.com/050802/treasury.shtm

    California is hosed
    ("the top 5% of taxpayers account for 42 percent of total personal income")
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/12/national/12CALI.html?pagewanted=print

    Memo Showing Boston FBI Protected Killer
    http://www2.bostonherald.com/news/local_regional/mob05122002.htm

    Britain Framed Irish Hero With "Jubilee Plot" to Murder Victoria
    http://www.observer.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,714087,00.html

    the British remind themselves what conservatism was like
    (it was horrible, and it's only coming back because people have forgotten it)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/12/weekinreview/12LYAL.html

    intellectual property

    "Fair Use" Is Getting Unfair Treatment
    http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2002/tc20020514_1528.htm

    Companies Cringe at Microsoft Licensing
    (wouldn't it be easier to run Linux?)
    http://www.usatoday.com/usatonline/20020513/4105463s.htm

    Frontiers of Ownership in the Digital Economy, Paris, 10-11 June 2002
    http://cip.umd.edu/IFRI.htm

    everything else

    Museum Informatics Project
    http://www.mip.berkeley.edu/

    Images of History on the Web
    http://www.infotoday.com/searcher/may02/mattison.htm

    A Teacher's Guide to Moderating Online Discussion Forums
    http://207.167.67.129/modmanual4.htm

    little overlap among the results of different search engines
    http://www.searchengineshowdown.com/stats/overlap.shtml

    e-democracy papers from the UK
    http://bowlingtogether.net/
    http://www.citizensonline.org.uk/pdf/realising.pdf
    http://www.hansardsociety.org.uk/ElectionsInTheAgeOfInternet.pdf

    Activity Theory in a "Trading Zone" for Design Research and Practice
    http://www.ifi.uio.no/~judithg/laclu.htm

    Conventions and Articulation Work in a Mobile Workplace
    http://www.fxpal.xerox.com/ConferencesWorkshops/ECSCW2001/ulrik.pdf

    CSCW: Four Characters in Search of a Context
    (early paper about computer supported cooperative work)
    http://www.ul.ie/~idc/library/papersreports/LiamBannon/4/ECCSCW89.html

    weird new cosmological theory
    http://www.nature.com/nsu/020422/020422-17.html

    the strange story of "Indian" food in Britain
    http://www.observer.co.uk/foodmonthly/story/0,9950,711834,00.html

    end