[RRE]pointers

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 22:00:56 PDT

    Here are some more URL's.  Thanks to everyone who contributed.

    RRE home page: http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/rre.html

    Pick Hit: DJ Spooky, Modern Mantra

    war

    Excerpts from "Unbuilding the World Trade Center"
    http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2002/07/langewiesche-excerpts.htm

    reinsurance companies hammered by September 11th
    http://www.theglobalist.com/nor/richter/2002/06-20-02.shtml

    civil liberties and security

    US Cartoonists Under Pressure to Follow the Patriotic Line
    ("death threats, efforts to silence me, people who compare me to a traitor")
    http://www.independent.co.uk/story.jsp?story=308068

    FBI Begins Visiting Libraries
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A37774-2002Jun24?language=printer

    Slaves and the Courts, 1740-1860
    http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/sthtml/

    Mexico's President Opens Up the Files on Decades of Repression
    (let me know if those files start showing up on the Web)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/23/international/americas/23MEXI.html

    "Britain accused of helping terrorists assassinate enemies of the state"
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/audiovideo/programmes/panorama/newsid_2019000/2019301.stm

    latest on UK surveillance politics
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk_politics/newsid_2051000/2051117.stm
    http://www.stand.org.uk/weblog/archive/2002/06/19/000199.php

    Credit-Card Hackers Stung With Bogus IIS Exploit
    http://www.theregus.com/content/55/25216.html

    NY Times changes its paid customers' passwords to be easily guessable
    http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/1482

    Security in Open Versus Closed Systems
    http://www.ftp.cl.cam.ac.uk/ftp/users/rja14/toulouse.pdf

    intellectual property

    Microsoft's Secret Plan to Secure the PC
    (please send URL's for analyses of this)
    http://www.ntsecurity.net/Articles/Print.cfm?ArticleID=25681
    http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?print=1&guid={6BCEB51B-D04A-4790-819C-EB94CC70C190}&siteid=myyahoo
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/770511.asp

    Software Is Movie Studios' Latest Weapon in a Growing Battle
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A5144-2002Jun18?language=printer

    newsletter loses its domain name because its renewal notices got filtered
    http://www.macslash.org/articles/02/05/31/1738247.shtml

    Net Radio Going Off the Air

    Art, Technology, and Intellectual Property
    http://www.americanassembly.org/PDF/ATIPspreads.pdf

    Usability and Privacy: A Study of Kazaa P2P File-Sharing
    http://www.hpl.hp.com/shl/papers/kazaa/KazaaUsability.pdf

    NPR explains but doesn't retract its ridiculous linking policy
    http://www.npr.org/about/privacypolicy.html

    politics

    a very clear explanation of how Bush and company work
    (though the AP later corrected the claim about "thunderous applause")
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/25/opinion/25KRUG.html

    "Nixon planned to parlay his reelection into an internal takeover of the gov't"
    http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/0621/p11s02-cods.html

    Pat Buchanan explains that only white people are civilized
    (and the audience at the Richard Nixon Museum couldn't agree more)
    http://www.ocweekly.com/ink/02/42/news-arellano.php

    jargon watch: defocusing -- "a structure that abolishes greed or skulduggery"
    (the column as a whole exemplifies ancient arguments against democracy)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A26487-2002Jun21.html

    conferences

    Information Design Summer Academy, Vienna, 8-27 July 2002
    http://www.iiid.net/

    Open Source Convention, San Diego, 22-26 July 2002
    http://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon/

    Bridging the Digital Divide, Montreux, Switzerland, 8-11 October 2002
    http://www.internetworldsummit.org/

    Privacy and Security, Toronto, 7-8 November 2002
    http://www.cacr.math.uwaterloo.ca/conferences/2002/isw-eleventh/announcement.html

    Doors of Perception, Amsterdam, 14-16 November 2002
    http://www.doorsofperception.com/

    everything else

    Librarians Teach and Preach Open Source Software at Convention
    http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/06/17/1514234.shtml?tid=11

    The Languages of the Semantic Web
    http://www.newarchitectmag.com/print/documentID=25298

    Car Repair Shops Often Can't Crack Diagnostic Code
    http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/ptech/06/24/diagnosing.cars.ap/

    notice the different spin on the Rite Aid story in the NYTimes and Wash Post
    (and this jargon: "criminalizing earnings management plus general deception")
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/22/business/22RITE.html?pagewanted=print
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A26137-2002Jun21.html

    jargon watch: "off-the-clock work is an infrequent and isolated problem"
    (among other things, quietly shifting the issue from Walmart onto the employee)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/25/national/25WALM.html

    Hearing "I Work Cheap" From Across the Globe
    http://tinyurl.com/efp
    http://tinyurl.com/efs

    The Rage in China: Lunching on Wildlife, and Mao
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/25/international/asia/25CHIN.html

    A Dyseducational Road Movie
    http://windward.nodalpoint.net/doc/media/liikenne.swf

    Insultingly Stupid Movie Physics