[RRE]pointers

From: Phil Agre (pagreat_private)
Date: Sat Sep 28 2002 - 09:33:07 PDT

    Here are some more URL's.  Thanks to everyone who contributed.

    RRE home page: http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/rre.html

    The anti-war ad that I said was refused by the New York Times did in
    fact run, I am told, on Sept. 25th.  My apologies to the Times' much-
    improved op-ed page.  My source of bad information knows who he is.

    When I run a correction, I am sometimes jeered for having tracked
    the smears that are spread wholesale by some other publications.
    This kind of reflexive pinning-it-back-on-them is one of the basic
    mechanisms of jargon.  Jargon only works, however, if the rational
    mind has been shut down.  Those who are still capable of rational
    thought understand that the real difference is between the
    publications that run decent corrections and the ones that don't.

    Iraq

    US Expands Aggressive Defense in Iraq
    (aggressive defense)
    http://www.latimes.com/templates/misc/printstory.jsp?slug=la%2Dfg%2Dqaeda27sep27§ion=%2Fnews%2Fprintedition%2Fasection

    US attacks allegedly civilian radar in southern Iraq

    US Aim in Iraq: "Lightning" Action
    http://www.usatoday.com/usatonline/20020927/4488478s.htm

    Iraqi Officials Plan for Urban Warfare
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8512-2002Sep26.html

    Iraq use of botulin toxin
    http://www.usatoday.com/usatonline/20020926/4483176s.htm

    Iraq Special Weapons
    http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/iraq/

    Agency Disavows Report on Iraq Arms
    (misleading title: the point is that Bush cited a report that does not exist)
    http://asp.washtimes.com/printarticle.asp?action=print&ArticleID=20020927-500715

    Experts Skeptical of al-Qaeda-Iraq Tie
    http://www.usatoday.com/usatonline/20020927/4488720s.htm

    war on secret evidence is the opposite of democracy
    (especially when war is then used as a reason to curtail democratic freedoms)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A8759-2002Sep26?language=printer

    Ashcroft's Baghdad Connection
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/813579.asp

    we should certainly denounce countries that ignore UN resolutions
    (and countries that threaten war without UN support)
    http://news.findlaw.com/scripts/printer_friendly.pl?page=/csmonitor/s/20020927/27sep2002085227.html

    more conservative doubts on Iraq
    http://www.townhall.com/columnists/jackkemp/printjk20020924.shtml

    danger to Tony Blair from internal Labour Party rebellions
    (we'll see)
    http://www.thenewrepublic.com/docprint.mhtml?i=20020930&s=luckhurst093002

    the machine is calling opponents of Bush Iraq policies "appeasers"
    (its smears are not random; it uses every word that can be used to attack)
    http://www.spinsanity.org/post.html?2002_09_22_archive.html#85493378

    and it's time for another smear campaign!
    (the mean-time-between-smears is shortening -- an election must be coming up)
    http://www.dailyhowler.com/dh092602.shtml

    war

    Bush spreads venom and when anyone calls him on it he lectures them on civility
    (notice the projection: it's a full-blown culture of bullying)
    http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/09/26/bush.dems.iraq/
    http://video.c-span.org:8080/ramgen/hdrive/Iraq092502_senate.rm

    DeLay then amplified Bush's already vile comments
    (and their hate language is nothing to what floods through the media 24/7)
    http://www.spinsanity.org/post.html?2002_09_22_archive.html#85501995

    FBI Account Outlines Activities of Hijackers Before 9/11 Attacks
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/27/national/27INTE.html?pagewanted=print

    Why Did the World Trade Center Collapse? Science, Engineering, and Speculation
    http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/0112/Eagar/Eagar-0112.html

    Federal Disaster Policies After Terrorists Strike
    http://www.house.gov/maloney/crsreport.pdf

    "open source intelligence" site
    http://www.oss.net/extra/page/

    civil liberties and security

    Caltech-MIT Team Finds 35% Improvement in Florida's Voting Technology
    http://pr.caltech.edu/media/Press_Releases/PR12284.html

    rebuttal to the Caltech-MIT claim by Rebecca Mercuri
    http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/22.26.html#subj1

    report from the MIT/Caltech Voting Technology Project
    (I somehow didn't manage to carry it when it came out last year)
    http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/nr/2001/VTP_report_all.pdf

    New York Police Request Broader Surveillance Rights
    http://www.law.com/jsp/printerfriendly.jsp?c=LawArticle&t=PrinterFriendlyArticle&cid=1032128620594

    bioterror model law now passed in 19 states
    ("Emergency Health Powers Act")
    http://www.law.com/jsp/printerfriendly.jsp?c=LawArticle&t=PrinterFriendlyArticle&cid=1032128590571

    No-Fly Blacklist Snares Political Activists
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2002/09/27/MN181034.DTL&type=printable

    Microsoft VPN Flaw Puts Internal Networks at Risk
    (a buffer overflow in their tunneling protocol! incredible)
    http://news.com.com/2102-1001-959659.html

    US exploring the use of Valium as a "non-lethal weapon"
    (I guess they've never heard of Ritalin)
    http://printerfriendly.abcnews.com/printerfriendly/Print?fetchFromGLUE=true&GLUEService=ABCNewsCom

    intellectual property

    more on intellectual property controversies at Cambridge
    http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/ccf.html

    Houses Approves Language Easing Some Copyright Rules for Online Courses
    http://chronicle.com/free/2002/09/2002092701t.htm

    record labels talking about going after Bertelsmann over Napster piracy
    (I expect it's just talk, but their theory is interesting)
    http://www.latimes.com/templates/misc/printstory.jsp?slug=la%2Dfi%2Dnapster26sep26001431§ion=%2Fbusiness

    corruption

    manipulation and cover-ups in the California energy crisis
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/27/opinion/27KRUG.html?pagewanted=print

    How the Bush Administration Is Giving Away Our Environment to Its Contributors
    http://www.publicampaign.org/publications/reports/paybacks/Paybacks.pdf

    criminal information against WorldCom's ex-controller
    http://news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/worldcom/usmyers92502inf.pdf
    http://www.law.com/jsp/printerfriendly.jsp?c=LawArticle&t=PrinterFriendlyArticle&cid=1032128622434

    Enron Report Casts Harsh Light on Lawyers
    http://www.law.com/jsp/printerfriendly.jsp?c=LawArticle&t=PrinterFriendlyArticle&cid=1032128629756

    everything else

    US Warns Nigeria Over Online Fraud Schemes
    http://www.idg.net/ic_951823_1794_9-10000.html

    New Software Quietly Diverts Online Sales Commissions
    (way too much can happen in your computer without your knowing it)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/27/technology/27FREE.html?pagewanted=print

    Technology in Teaching Languages and Culture, Monterey, 20-22 March 2003
    http://iwlc.csumb.edu/digitalstream/index.html

    assistant professor faculty positions in telecommunications
    http://www.indiana.edu/~telecom/job_opps.html

    AP article on Georgia creationism decision that uses creationist spin
    (taking the term "critical thinking" away from the scientists)
    http://news.findlaw.com/scripts/printer_friendly.pl?page=/ap_stories/other/1110/9-27-2002/20020927021502_17.html

    new left-wing media monitor
    http://www.medialens.org/

    Internet etc in North Korea
    (I have no idea about the reliability of the site, though)
    http://north-korea.narod.ru/dprk_internet.htm

    we need a sample of Venusian atmosphere
    (like right now)

    end