[RRE]reading list

From: Phil Agre (pagre@private)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2005 - 07:09:15 PST

RRE home page: http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/rre.html

Best Books of 2004:
1. Ekaterina Haskins, Logos and Power in Isocrates and Aristotle
2. Bruno Latour, Politics of Nature
3. Bob Dylan, Chronicles
4. William Scheuerman, Liberal Democracy and the Social Acceration of Time
5. Barbara Mirel, Interaction Design for Complex Problem Solving

Here, thanks to the excellent new Google Scholar, are some papers that
I recommend.  I have not included URL's for them because which version
of the paper you can read depends on your domain.  (Some domains will
have site licenses for particular publishers and others will not.)
Just copy and paste the title into <http://scholar.google.com/>.
If Google Scholar doesn't retrieve a full-text version of the article,
try the regular Google or (for those in .edu) <http://www.jstor.org/>.

Talking in the Library: Implications for the Design of Digital
Libraries

The Digital Divide as a Complex and Dynamic Phenomenon

Place as a Practical Concern of Mobile Workers

Reflective Systems Development

Out of Machine Age? Complexity, Sociotechnical Systems and Actor
Network Theory

Towards a Sociology of Information Technology

Beyond Computation: Information Technology, Organizational
Transformation and Business Performance

Free Ride: An Institutionalist Analysis of Information in the Internet Age

The Theory of the Firm: An Introduction to Themes and Contributions

The Entrepreneurship of Resource-Based Theory

The Sociology of Entrepreneurship

Modern Economic Theory and Development

Why Are Institutions the Carriers of History? Path Dependence and the
Evolution of Conventions, Organizations and Institutions

Positive Constitutional Economics: A Survey

Democracy, Democratization, and Institutional Theory

The Problem of Liberty in the Thought of Adam Smith

Toward an Anthropology of Democracy

Herder's Publikum: Language, Print, and Sociability in Eighteenth-Century
Germany

any paper by Cristiano Antonelli on the economics of innovation, Paul
Dourish on computers and cooperative work, Brian Loasby on information
and organizations, or Claus Offe or Johan Olsen on political institutions

After my call for topics that RRE should be covering, I had some quite
interesting discussions with RRE readers, and I drew a surprising
conclusion.  The 1990's, in my opinion, were a decade of breaking
news.  There were four major stories -- the popularization of the
Internet, a new round of global integration of institutions, and the
building of American conservatism, and then in 2001 the 9/11 attacks
-- each of which had numerous and diverse strands, and all of which
unfolded on a time-scale of months.  The New York Times at least
covered the Internet story reasonably well, and you could more or
less understand the 9/11 story if you read online newspapers from
every continent except Antarctica, but no publications anywhere even
halfways covered the globalization or conservatism stories, even
publications that think of themselves as global or conservative (much
less this mailing list).  There was also the war in Kosovo, for which
the Internet was essential for the simple reason that the people being
bombed were online.

The 2000's are not a decade of breaking news.  What is happening now
that you need the Internet to understand?  The most important story
of the 2000's, in my opinion, is the war over language in the United
States that I have discussed here earlier.  And this is a story
that happens on numerous time-scales from milliseconds to millennia.
Important things are happening literally to the interfaces between
the subjects and verbs in English sentences, yet these things are
continuous with the arguments between conservatives and democrats
in ancient Greece.  That, for example, is why Ekaterina Haskins'
"Logos and Power in Isocrates and Aristotle", in addition to being
scholarship of the highest order, could scarcely be more relevant.

Ten More Things That Piss Me Off

1. skits
2. people who claim that tomatoes are a fruit
3. PBS (i.e., American public television)
4. the brightly inane writing in most tourist guidebooks
5. those Citibank ads
6. the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
7. the verb "to morph"
8. anything pertaining to the "American Songbook"
9. mayonnaise, or as scientists call it, "death slime"
10. the phrase "thanks in advance"