[NTSEC] (It gets worse) NT vulnerable to DOS attack on more than

From: Bob Beck (by way of Christopher Klaus ) (beckat_private)
Date: Sat Jan 25 1997 - 10:08:08 PST

    > This is clearly the biggest bug yet. I can kill all of the services of
    > MS Exchange Server, as well as INETINFO (MSX doesn't rely on INETINFO).
    > So clearly this bad code has been used in numerous products.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Russ
    > R.C. Consulting, Inc. - NT/Internet Security Consulting
    > "Why does Plug-n-Play so often turn into Unplug-n-Pay?"

            Owch.. Yep.. looks like it's both dynamic (i.e. port 1031
    isn't always the port it ends up on) and it's used in more than just
    that.  The box I tried it on first was pretty stock.  I tried it on a
    loaded up box (Exchange and Winframe 3.51) and there are *lots* of
    ports that little perl script kills it on.  Good thing I have an
    extremely anal-retentive packet filter in front of that one :-)

            So it looks like all you need to is use that perl script (or
    modify Proff's strobe program to heave something at the port when it
    connects) and lots of things hardloop.  Sorry kids, it's not another static
    port, It's all over the place int MS's code. so it depends what you run
    on your server.

            The released microsoft fix does *NOT* fix this. it ONLY fixes
    the problem on port 135.

            -Bob

    --
    Bob Beck                                         Obtuse Systems Corporation
    beckat_private                                  http://www.obtuse.com/