Re: in.telnetd bug (linux)

From: Ryan Murray (rmurrayat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 02 1997 - 11:08:42 PST

    On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Patrick wrote:

    > Re-installing the newest netkit on a broken system doesn't fix the bug,
    > nor does installing the same netkit (even the same binary) on a working

    NetKit's documentation clearly indicates this problem in the
    netkit-telnet-0.10/BUGS file:

            - crashes in ncurses if the terminal type is undefined,
              with some versions of ncurses.

    > Installing the terminfo.tgz package fixes the bug.  After some
    > investigation, I found that it's more specifically the existence of the
    > /usr/lib/terminfo/u/unknown file that fixes the bug.

    Hrm...I have /usr/lib/terminfo/u/unknown.  I checked the code for telnetd,
    and it actually assumes "network" and not unknown, which I don't have.
    Adding a link from "network" to dumb didn't solve the problem.  telnetd
    simply dies before outputting anything (no core, because processes started
    from inetd aren't allowed to core, of course)