Re: HPUX rexecd bug on trusted system

From: Kevin K. Sochacki (kksochaat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 08 1997 - 08:43:28 PST

    --------------F40EA5AFC023221591028211

    Security Alert wrote:

    > "Kevin K. Sochacki" <kksochaat_private> wrote:
    > >
    > > I have discovered a bug in rexecd on system running HPUX 10.20 that have
    > > been converted to trusted systems.
    > <snip>
    > >This problem has been report to HP and is currently being addressed.
    >                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > to which we respectfully add:
    >
    > This problem _has_ been fully addressed in patch PHNE_12161.  It was posted
    > to our patch hub on 19 August, and targets all HP9000 S700/800 10.X trusted
    > systems.
    >
    > HP S/W Security Team
    > --

    The problem addressed in patch PHNE_12161 as implied in the description,
    only fixed a problem of not updating the bad login counter. This _does_
    fix the vulnerability issue, however on successful log ins the bad login
    counter _does_not_ get cleared, therefor locking the users out no matter
    how many times they login successfully between unsuccessful attempts.

    So to your reply I respectfully add:

    This problem _has_NOT_ been fully addressed in patch PHNE_12161.  It
    only addressed the most severe part of the problem, leaving an
    administrative headache. If you consider the administrator who's work
    load can't handle the added stress of constantly reactivating a number
    users, he may opt to disable this feature once again leaving the system
    vulnerable.

    I have patch PHNE_12161 applied and I'm constantly reactivating user
    accounts do to this problem. I have confirmed the problem it is
    reproducible and is a major headache. This is still a very big problem!

    --
    (...Later..:)
    :)**************************(: Exxon Research & Engineering

    begin:          vcard
    fn:             Kevin Sochacki
    n:              Sochacki;Kevin
    org:            Exxon Research & Engineering
    adr:            Route 22 East;;;Annandale;NJ;08801;USA
    email;internet: kksochaat_private
    title:          Contractor
    tel;work:       (908) 730-2911
    tel;fax:        (908) 730-3823