Re: mIRC Worm

From: Nigel Reed (Non-HP) (nigelrat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 18 1997 - 09:47:34 PST

    It might also be worth pointing out how to get rid of the
    script.ini program in the first place for those who are
    not sure.

    Load up mIRC

    /remote off
    /unload -rs script.ini
    /remove script.ini
    /sreq ask
    /remote on

    The defaults for mIRC ARE safe. They require the user accept the
    file. Everyone should be aware not to accept files which are from
    an unknown or dubious source. The rule applies for http and ftp
    so IRC/DCC is no different.

    This problem is also addressed in mIRC 5.3 which will remove
    script.ini and it also creates a new download directory for
    the user. Basically protecting the user against themselves.

    As for mIRC being a mess, I can say the same about ircii, but we wont
    go into that now.

    Regards
    Nigel
    --
    Nigel Reed                       Pager: 214 322 6311 Enter area code +number
    Consultant  Work: 972 497 4877   Home Email: nigelat_private