Re: Crashing an XTACACS authentication server

From: Alan Brown (alanat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 23 1997 - 18:39:39 PST

    At 11:21 23/12/97 -0800, Coaxial Karma wrote:

    >I recently discovered that when an ISP was using XTACACS server from
    >Vikas Aggarwal (vikasat_private) in a standalone mode, it was possible
    >make the XTACACS server crash by sending it different type of ICMP
    >messages.

    Nasty, but...

    This reinforces the recommendation in Vikas' documentation that xtacacsd be
    run out of inetd in persistent mode and not in standalone mode. Having
    login/logout control die will at best generate a flurry of support calls
    plus mess up time-based accounting or at worst, cost an ISP customers.

    Thankfully Tacacs based clients usually default to "no response = no
    access", so it only really becomes a security issue if a bogus tacacs
    server can be installed on the network _and_ the tacacs servers are
    configured to look at it. (Discounting forged udp tacacs responses).

    AB