Re: Problems with "rpm --setperms"

From: Erik Troan (ewtat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 30 1997 - 11:58:13 PST

    On Mon, 22 Dec 1997, Savochkin Andrey Vladimirovich wrote:

    > Try to say for instance "rpm --setperms sysklogd" being root
    > on your Red Hat box (5.0, 4.2 - it isn't matter) and then
    > "ls -l /etc/rc.d/init.d/syslog".
    > You will be surprised by rpm's opinion about right permissions
    > for the file. RPM set them to 0777.
    >
    > An interesting "feature", isn't it?

    Interesting to say the least ;-)

    This is fixed in RPM 2.4.11, which is now available from:

            ftp.redhat.com:/updates/4.2

    and

            ftp.redhat.com:/updates/5.0

    Everyone using an RPM based distribution should probably upgrade, unless
    they didn't know '--setperms' existsed, in which case they can ignore this
    entire issue.

    Thanks for pointing this out, and sorry the fix took so long (I was on
    vacation last week).

    Erik

    |       "For the next two hours, VH1 will be filled with foul-mouthed,        |
    |          crossdressing Australians. Viewer discretion is advised."          |
    |       Erik Troan   =   ewtat_private     =    ewtat_private          |