Vulnerability in ccdconfig

From: Niall Smart (rotelat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 30 1997 - 18:02:31 PST

    Hi,

    FreeBSD and NetBSD's ccdconfig doesn't do proper checking of the
    argument to -f:

    [nsmart@ginseng ~]$ ccdconfig -U -f /dev/mem 2>&1 | strings | grep Charlie
    root:iDeLeTeDiT:0:0::0:0:Charlie: No such file or directory
    ^C

    I had to cat /etc/master.passwd in another window to get this to
    work though :) So perhaps its not very easily exploitable, but
    is worth fixing nonetheless.

    This bug was also spotted by olivierat_private and fixed in OpenBSD
    some time ago.

    Fixes:

     * FreeBSD and NetBSD have been notified of the problem and have fixed
       it in their source tree's as of yesterday  (FreeBSD-current,
       FreeBSD-stable, NetBSD-current)  Retrieve the patched ccdconfig.c
       and compile yourself a new ccdconfig.

     * "chmod g-s /sbin/ccdconfig". I can't think of any reason for it to be
       sgid kmem.

    Regards,

    Niall