Re: riptrace.c

From: Alfred Huger (ahugerat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 08 1998 - 16:06:15 PST

    After a quick look and asking around a bit, I have a little more
    information on which OS's appear to be vulnerable (and not vulnerable) to
    this attack.

    SunOS 5.5 / Appears not vulnerable
    BSDI 2.1 / Appears not vulnerable
    Slackware Linux 2.0.29 / Appears not vulnerable
    IRIX 5.2-5.3-6.2 / Vulnerable
    NetBSD 1.2 / Vulnerable
    OpenBSD / Appears not vulnerable
    FreeBSD 2.2.2 / Appears not vulnerable
    Ultrix 4.3 / Appears vulnerable

    This is by no means an exhaustive list, just what I had access to test
    quickly (with the exception of Ultrix which was tested by someone else).
    For what it is worth Theo Deraadt had this fixed in OpenBSD some time ago.
    He also, if I heard him correctly, discovered and reported this bug to
    someone at SGI years ago.

    Alfred Huger                                    http://www.secnet.com/ballista
    Project Director                                ahugerat_private
    Secure Networks Inc. (SNI)