Re: hole in sudo for MP-RAS.

From: Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group (cschuberat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 12 1998 - 15:20:49 PST

    > There is a bug in sudo versions (at least) 1.5.2 and 1.5.3 on NCR's MP-RAS
    > that makes it trivial to bypass sudo's restrictions.  I reported this to
    > the sudo-bugs address given in the source on 12/23/97, but never heard back,
    > so screw 'em.  It is important to note that MP-RAS is one of the platforms
    > listed in the RUNSON file included with the distribution, so there are
    > probably many people running this; I imagine you will want to reconsider it
    > if you are one of them.

    This bug exists on all platforms.  Sudo does not handle relative directories
    properly . ../../../usr/bin/date would also bypasses the access list.

    In short inclusion lists are are safe.  Exclusion lists are not safe.

    > --jml

    UNIX Support                   OV/VM:  BCSC02(CSCHUBER)
    ITSD                          BITNET:  CSCHUBERat_private
    Government of BC            Internet:  cschuberat_private
                                           Cy.Schubertat_private

                    "Quit spooling around, JES do it."