Cidentd

From: Jackal (jackalat_private)
Date: Sat Jan 10 1998 - 04:32:44 PST

    I'm sorry if this already known but i'm new to bugtraq. I've been using
    cidentd for quite a long of time and I have never had any problems. But,
    while i was looking in the code i found something interesting. The
    buffers cident uses for reading from /etc/cident.users and ~/.authlie
    are all 1024 bytes long. So i created as a normal user a ~/.authlie with
    a single line like this:
    user    xxxx......xxxxx
             (1024 times)
    And something not so unexpectable happened... Cidentd would core dump...
    I'm not too good with making buffer overflow exploits, but I believe
    that xxx could be replaced with some shell code like making a suid shell
    in /tmp.

    Jackal/XTC