Re: Correction: CPSN 9:971208: Solaris /var Permission Problems

From: Tom Perrine (tepat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 13 1998 - 14:48:15 PST

        Randy> Be careful on what you suggest.  The last I heard, even Sun does not
        Randy> recommend that you run ASET in high.  I know of more than one box that
        Randy> was trashed because the SA set ASET to high.  It is a long and painfull
        Randy> process to restore the system after ASET is finished with it.  It may be
        Randy> better to keep up on the patches and run scripts or other tools to keep
        Randy> track of the permissions.

    I highly recommend cfengine (GNU software) to set
    owner/group/permissions for such things.  We've been using cfengine to
    "repair" vendor file permissions for over a year, as well as install
    all kinds of extra software, such as Kerberos, SSH, logdaemon,
    tcp_wrappers, etc.

    A find followed by a cfengine run is a good idea.  Letting cfengine
    run every morning and at every re-boot is a Great Idea.  A
    self-healing installation.

    --
    Tom E. Perrine (tepat_private) | San Diego Supercomputer Center
    http://www.sdsc.edu/~tep/     | Voice: +1.619.534.5000