Re: GCC 2.7.? /tmp files

From: Michael Douglass (mikedougat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 15 1998 - 22:42:20 PST

    On Thu, Jan 15, 1998 at 10:46:06PM +0100, Micha³ Zalewski said:

    This is a _simple_ one to 'fix'.  My personal belief is that if anyone
    is at all concerned about /tmp explots, they will create a 'tmp'
    directory within their home directory and then set the TMPDIR environment
    variable to reference it.  Most of the programs in use today will honor
    it; and if you are worried about the general user on your system, add to
    the system profile to set their TMPDIR (and I guess you could check for
    the existance of it and create it if necessary).

    There are just too many issues to deal with in the /tmp exploits; and this
    method removes them _ALL_.  (Oh, just don't have your home dir executable
    and your tmp dir world writable at least. :)

    --
    Michael Douglass
    Texas Networking, Inc.

    <tnet admin> anyway, I'm off, perl code is making me [a] crosseyed toady