Microsoft responds to bug in Exchange Server

From: Tony Hagale (bagelat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 27 1998 - 16:10:20 PST

    FORWARDED FROM A ROOTSHELL BULLETIN

    02. Microsoft responds to bug in Exchange Server

    http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/guide/papers/smtp.asp?A=2B=6

    SMTP Denial of Service Attack for Exchange
    Server 4.0 and 5.0

    January, 1998

    Microsoft has provided this market bulletin to help make customers aware of
    an issue with Exchange Server 4.0 and 5.0, which, although fixed in a
    service pack last year, has recently been discussed in various Internet
    forums. This issue does not effect Exchange Server 5.5.

    This issue involves a denial of service attack that can potentially be used
    by someone with malicious intent to crash Microsoft® Exchange Server 4.0 and
    5.0 machines. In some cases, this attack could also allow the execution of
    arbitrary code from the stack.

    This problem was fixed last year with the release of Service Pack 1 for
    Exchange 5.0. This bulletin provides additional information including
    instructions on how to obtain these fixes.

    (see their web site for additional information)

    "this attack could also allow the execution of arbitrary code from the
    stack"

    I sure am glad that I am not running Exchange.

    bagelat_private
    --Tony Hagale
    |-  Strake Jesuit Network Admin
    |-  http://www.neosoft.com/~bagel